Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrated with Bowhunting

Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Frustrated with Bowhunting

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Your friends are losers.[8D]Don't listen to them.
This is gospel. You saw something that they never will. Stick with it.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get frustrated and don't give up. Your "friends" are idiots. I bow hunted 3 years to get my first deer. I was lucky that it was an old 8 point buck. An hour earlier I shot a twig to keep the arrow from dropping a beautiful 13 point buck. The year before that, I missed 3 deer mostly due to what I attribute to putting pressure on myself to be successful with a bow. The first year (before I found this forum), I didn't have a deer come close enough to any of my stands to even get a shot. I still hunt with shotgun and black powder, but bow hunting is the most challenging and has the greatest rewards when that first deer drops. Keep the faith and keep persuing that first silent kill.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting with archery tackle can be the most frustrating and the most rewarding hunt you'll ever have. When you score, there is nothing better...knowing you've accomplished one of the most difficult hunts for anytype of game.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Spike

Im going into my third season of bow hunting and like every other sport you only learn by experiences and you can only get better when first starting off. I havent gotten my first kill yet but its still addicting.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have been bowhunting for 20 years this fall and have had way more missed oportunities than tagged animals. I still look forward to bow season like I used to look forward to christmas as a kid though. Learn to enjoy the archery part of bowhunting and you will gain more confidence. I try to shoot from the time the snow melts untill it gets too cold to shoot again. That year round practice helps to give you confidence that when that deer does come into range that bad boy (or girl) is yours. Bowhunting will also make you a more effective firearm deer hunter as well since you will have much more time in the woods to study the animals and alot more "missed opportunities" to learn from. Take it in stride and try to outsmart him again.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Bartender

I have to agree with the exception of guns. I still gun hunt but that is more of a family thing every year during thanksgiving week.
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Do you expect it to be easy. IF that's the case, I agree with your friends, stay away from bowhunting. It's not for you BUT the reward is so much more rewarding when you do take your first animal etc....there is a reason for the addiction. Bowhunting has more lows than highs depending on how you look at it. I don't view your deer trotting away as a failure but a success at even seeing him while hunting. You'll learn with every success and failure and if your anything like me, your guns will be a thing of the past.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 AM

First time with a bow and you didn't get one, sorry to hear that but you did see one. That is the challange of bow hunting. Have faith in yourself.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 AM
Bartender

Gosh dang it I had a bunch of posts in a row in this forum and you broke the chain
Old 10-10-2007, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been a bowhunter exclusively when it comes to deer for several years now. Seeing deer that you could have taken easily with a gun make it that much sweeter when you see the deer you want approaching your "high percentage" zone. I don't gun hunt for deer anymore, but when I did, I had decided that if I saw a true monster, it would be a let-down to take him with my gun when the bow kill is so much more satisfying. Keep at it and you'll feel the addiction so many of us have caught when you arrow your first.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your first bowhunt and you saw a monster 12 point. You already won, man!!! You just don't know how lucky you are. I'd be smiling and thanking God for that great hunt you just had.

Which way was the wind blowing? Maybe he just winded you. That's part of the game.

Stick with it. If you pay your dues the rewards are SO much greater than gun hunting. I've done both and it's no contest. I'm the only one in my group that carries my bow out with hunters orange on opening day of rifle season. Sure I've missed opportunities at bucks that were a little too far for a bow. But the way I see it everybody else is missing the opportunity to do something really special - take a deer with a bow and arrow.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with Bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.