Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking out loud about my season, so far...

Old 10-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Thinking out loud about my season, so far...

My initial goal was to take a bunch of does, this year. With the farmer to my south getting (and USING) a depredation permit.....my goals "shrank" a lot. A goal of 8 was established (to take out of the herd).

Since opening day.....I've taken 3 out......and my sightings have been down. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. I welcome that side effect. I can also document 4 does that have been run over on the roads encasing my hunting grounds. Combine those three events (does I've taken + reduced sightings + does killed by automobiles).....and I'm thinking out loud about adjusting my numbers.

Is this a "cop-out"? A reason to hunt "differently"? A reason to lower my goal? I honestly don't look at it this way. I'm wondering if I shouldn't err on the side of "caution".....rather than the side of "excess".

Would you assess this differently.....if these were your circumstances? Or....would you stay the course?

I'm just thinking out loud.......
Old 10-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Thinking out loud about my season, so far...

i would probably go ahead and stay the course. but i would also stay up to date with the neighbors.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see why taking other factors into consideration would be a "cop out."
4 killed by autos seems
high (or higher than anticipated) and the farmer hunting wasn't factored in. To me it makes perfect sense.

Your goal was establishing some balance for your deer herd (or at least I think it was ) If all
killed are does, it sounds like that is clearly being accomplished.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:34 PM

The more the better, right? You initially saideight and I think you should stick to it. Just be ignorant of the deer taken out by automobiles, etc.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, I'd stay the course...your deer are there, you just not seeing them...YET. One year of taking out does will not and cannot impact your herd to the degree you need to. Several years perhaps. Stay the course and then reevaluate it at the end of the season for next year. Talk with the farmer to the south too to see if he's seeing less deer yet or not.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I know he took 10 via permit BEFORE the actual season started all taken legally....and all does). My bio and I tlaked about this prior to the season.....and re-assessed the number for ME to be 8. I'm sure they take into account road kills, and I guess you stay the course guys are right. I do have a place for all the venison to go......but SELFISHLY......I'm getting to the point of where I don't want to booger up my best spots by whacking does in them......and the catch-22 is....I need to be in those spots to take that many does.

I KNOW I said taking does was my no. 1 goal, this year.....but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to have the best chance I could at a buck, too. I'm human.

It's going to be a tough task to accomplish. It's already been tougher than I thought it would be. I honestly thought I may could accomplish this before Nov. 8th. I still might.....but it's not looking good. it might not be attainable with only me hunting......and the lack of sightings on many hunts has me leery of inviting others to help (on a VERY limited basis, even).

I'm going to keep at them until the second week of Nov. and re-assess the situation. I may realize I've bitten off more than I can chew, too. That's fine, also. I'm just learning.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, just a quick question, is the farmer also taking out bucks with the depredation permits? Its not a cop out, if the numbers are getting adjusted by other means, then so be it, move on to some horn
Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our season closes on the 10th Jeff, I do plan on coming down that following weekend if that works out with your schedule and determining my time off from work via the injury and vacation. I don't think my doc/surgeon is allowing me back to work until he sees me on the 31'st. My vacation was suppose to start that Monday so I'll have a few extra days to get in......I'm in for the first doe that comes in range.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

That would help, Rob. That's also about the time I started seeing bucks, last year, too.

The depredation permit is for does, only. I DO need to talk to the farmer and see what he's up to (#'s) now. We're hunting the same deer. He's just 1/2 mile (as the crow flies) to my south.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT,
I'm new to bow hunting, but not new to deer hunting. I agree with Rob... the deer are there. If you're experiencing the same temperatures we are here, they're simply moving more at night when it's cooler IMHO. You will be able to reach your goal if that's all you're concerned about. I'll be willing to bet you that things will be different by next weekend.
(I'm counting on it... it's my last opportunity to hunt before surgery.) Good luck.

Quick Reply: Thinking out loud about my season, so far...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.