Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking out loud about my season, so far...

Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking out loud about my season, so far...

GMMAT,
I am from NC also. Our deer sightings have been way down with these temps. As an example, one area (partially developed) has never let me down. There are so many deer that, in three years of hunting, I have only had 4 hunts where I did not see a deer. Three of those hunts have been this year.

Like you, I am saving my best spots for the the rut/buck hunting. I wouldn't use my best spots to kill does but I would wait for the cool weather (wed? hopefully!) and keep punishing the does. I am no management expert but I suspect it would be impossible to kill too many in this part of the country.

My 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking out loud about my season, so far...

but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to have the best chance I could at a buck, too.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Maybe that is why my comment was different from the others. I'm biased.

But seriously, one of those wounded does probably died = 4 from you, 4 from road, and 10 from permit,
that's 18 already. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the area you are hunting is not that big is it? Taking out
18 does and no bucks by this point in the season sounds pretty damn good. It doesn't mean you should
let up next year or not take out a few more if you get the chance, but I don't see why you the hunter
(this is not a team sport) can't change your mind about something like this. Some people are very rigid
about "goals" (there is a reason for setting them), but it can sometimes take the enjoyment out of it.

Of course I don't know anything about that deer factory they call South Carolina. [8D]