Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you hear the deer before you see them

Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default do you hear the deer before you see them

i have noticed on my first to bow hunts this morning and thursday

that all three times i seen deer one at 15 yards one at 30 both thursday and two at 30 today. That i did not hear them. The first one was a doe that came around a edge of the soybean field i hunt and spoted me the> second was adoe that came around my right side about 15 yards away i could have shother a half dozen time but when i turned my hand and waited forher to stop looking at me she was behind a tree. The two today were out in the field about 10 yards in about 50 yards from me

all three times i seen the deer never hured them once they were as quit as mouse The only time i hured them was when the first doe poted me and ran . And the second wen i got to full draw and she was behind the tree and when i went to let my draw lose i sliped my release and the arrow flew over her and she ran

has anyone else noticed that you see them and not hear them
Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: do you hear the deer before you see them

I have had both this year. Ive heard most of them before I saw them, but Wednesday and Friday I saw them before I heard them...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

sometimes i do...sometimes i dont. today i had a buck coming in at less than 30yds and i never heard him...but then again with all the squirrels and chipmunks running in the leaves, squirrels knocking acorns down and jumping limb to limb, it can be tough...

thats why staying alert, motionless and ready is important. sometimes i would almost swear they morphed right into view...like that buck today i should have seen for about 20yds before he got to where i seen him...never seen or heard him..

then theres other times youd think a herd of elephants were coming through...
Old 10-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

They can be sneaky!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

early season I never hear them. they're tough to see with all the leaves too. Now that the leaves are falling everything getsa ton easier - leaves get crunchy and you can see them from a mile away. things get even easier when the snow comes. harder to hear but much easier to pick out.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen them before Iheard them,I have heard them before I saw them and I have smelled them beforeI saw them or heard them.I could care less,as long as I see them before they see me.That has also happened.[:'(]
Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes I hear them first, sometimes I see them first. It really depends on which way they come from.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm guessing if I see 100 deer.....I usually hear 90 or more of them before I see them.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt some pretty beat down trails so I will see them before I hear, just because of the where I set my stands! Sometimes I'll hear a crunch-crunch first, then the heart really gets a going!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I almost always see them first. I'm constantly scanning every nook and cranny from my stand. Most of the time I pick them up well before I'd be able to hear them. Sometimes though there is that surprising "crunch crunch" noise and you have a deer within 20 yards that appeared from noplace [:-]

Quick Reply: do you hear the deer before you see them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.