Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you hear the deer before you see them

Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: do you hear the deer before you see them

Early season around here you are lucky to hear them before you see them. Our property is soooo damn thick with these thorn bushes ( I dont know their exact name), you're lucky to get more than a twenty yard shot. Opening morning I had four doe within ten yards before I saw them. Sneaky little mothers... Saw all I wanted of a beautiful eight, but damn if its not earn a buck this year.... Once the leaves come down then I can hear them from a long ways off. Then the only difficulty is determining which direction they are coming from. My directional hearing sucks....
Old 10-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Sometimes I hear them first, sometimes I see them first. It really depends on which way they come from.
X2
Old 10-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Of the 5 that I saw on my only morning out, I heard 4 and then one of the last ones came in from another area where I was able to catch the flash of its tail while it was browsing. I'd venture to say that its usually 50/50 whether I hear them or see them off in the distance.