Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Patterning ??

Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Patterning ??

I am headed to IL in the morning to hunt for the first time there. All of the corn has been harvested since the last time I scouted. So the deers patterns have probably changed from what I observed last time.

I have been hunting this farm for 11 years and have a pretty good idea of where the deer travel. And have a spot picked out that I am going sit. I can usually find a concentrationof rubs along this ridge during the early season, and I had 4 bucks come by last opening day.

Do the deer in your woods use the same travel routes year after year? Or do they change their travel routes seemingly for no reason? I know they do things differently when crops are rotated. But do they start traveling in new areas each year for no apparent reason or do they stick to the same old trails.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Patterning ??

My honey hole is basically a funnel between two woodlots so yes, they pretty much follow the same patterns year to year.

Sounds like a great spot John...good luck. I'll be in IL next November...I believe the second or third week.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Spike

Default RE: Patterning ??

Deer will follow trails year after year. Dont think they abandon the trail if you dont see them on it because many things can happen when the season roles around and if they patternyou they will walk the trails only at dark so be moblie.