Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mid Oct

Old 10-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Mid Oct

I will be taking my vacation Oct 15th thru Oct 22, usally I take the first week of Novemeber but can't this years.

Has anyone had any luck rattling or using decoys this early? If yes to decoys, is a doe or buck set up better?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: Mid Oct

i would not rattle call or do anything. Just scout the area and find a fresh scrap. It will be pre rut and i love pre rut because bucks are fighting over thereterritory and want to see what kind of does are in the area. If you can find a fresh scrap sit on top of it because most likely they will check it within 2 days hoping its in the day time. But keep it as natural as possible. Try this it works for me. Good luck
Old 10-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mid Oct

I personally think you are alittle early for serious pre rut action.Sure some yougsters will be doing there thing,but the big boys won't be fired up yet.Normally the mid of Oct. is refered to as the lull.It tends to be alittle slow.Sorry I'm not giving you a positive outlook,but anything can happen.I killed a 150 class last year on Oct.13th,so it can happen.