Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stands Are Hung

Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stands Are Hung

Well I went out and put up 3 stands on the property today. The first went into the Southeast corner of the property where my Moultrie 4.0 took a crappy picture yesterday. I worked around the property some more and in the Southwest corner, I found Two MAJOR trails coming onto my property along an old farming lane. When I got to the Northwest corner of the property I came across an oak grove with tons of acorns on the ground and a freaking four lane deer highway coming straight into it. I found a possible bedding area on the west side with an oak or two growing there and have targeted it for the next stand. A buddy of mine came over to help me get the stands up and all he kept repeating was "You *******, you have a #$%&* Honey Hole here. I think I will wait til the 2nd week in November (traditionally the heat of the rut) to do my hunt. What do you all think of my stand placement?

Forgot to mention it was 92 degrees outside while doing this.

Do not skirt the profanity filter by using $$ for S's...the thread could be deleted.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stands Are Hung

I think if its like you described then you should be posting up pics of a big boy. My question is. Why are you waiting so late to hunt?

And with you two stinking it up, I would stay out of the area for a little while, but then again with it being so hot and dry you scent probably won't last long.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow season opened here on the 1st. The rut usually doesn't start until the first couple of weeks of November. Just bought the property last month. Had to get settled in and things put away beforeI started the "fun stuff" as my wife calls it. I figure with another month before I get into the stand, putting them in today won't have much effect on the hunt. I'll go back in the chem suit tomorrow and get photos of the lanes and stands and post them.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

You wear a chemical suit to check your camera? Now thats hard core...and a little weird?

But whatever boosts your confidence.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

A military chem suit not only keeps biological and chemical weapons from getting out, but traps the body odors in. I have worn one when hunting for the past 3 years. I have had deer stop within 15 feet of me with the wind blowing across my back and into their face and not got burnt. I wear normal hunting boots sprayed with scent kill too. Whether you accept it or not, I found it works and it was worth the $15 I paid for it on e-bay.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Oh, no, no. Not saying that it wouldn't work. Just thinking of how hot it would be during the middle of Aug. when our deer season opens.

Like i said, to each his own.[8D]
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Criminy StrutNtom, I've been wearing those darn things since 1975??? When we have to wear them in the military, there have been times when I've been in one for 12 hours in 120+ degree weather. It sucks. So an hour to walk down and check the camera and come back aint bad when its 90 degrees out. Not only that, it helpsme sweat some of those excess pounds off. Our season here started on October 1st and the rut will hit sometime between the 5th and 15th of November. Usually, by then the chem suit isnt bad at all. It helps keep me warm. Then in late muzzleloader in the last part of December, I through some sweats on under it and I'm fine out there in temperatures below freezing. Not too bad for a $15 investment. Been thinking about buy a couple more to have a stock in case the other ever gives out or gets torn.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if this helps but... The fields to the west and east are hay. Southwest is hay and southeast is soy beans. North of the property is pasture. All trails found leading into my property are in the southwest corner, southeast corner, and on the north side by the oak grove. I've seen deer bedding in the area I have annotated as a possible 4th stand.