Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening day succe.....or uh miss.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening day succe.....or uh miss.

Welp perty basic story, had a deer in front of my stand this mornin to dark to really see if it was a doe or a small buck, it never stuck around long enough for a shot oppertunity,later i had be watching 2 does run accross the field and about 9:15 they made there way to the edge of the woods in the field, they were moving quick so i couldnt range them and the shot i new yardage ididnt have time tostop them, i had one last shot through a small opening and just a misjudgement of yardage resulted in no deer and a lost arrow.

Another thing i need help with, when this deer came in i got so excited i didnt even think about form, ancor, i dont even think i pulled my facemask down, how can you control your feelings to remember the steps for a good shot?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Opening day succe.....or uh miss.

Look up the thread where GregH discussed JUST THESE THINGS.

And remember.....Do as I SAY, Aaron....not as I do!

The thing I took away from that thread...

1. Go ahead and take a big ol deep breath as the deer enters your set.

2. From that point forward.....focus on NOTHING but the spot on the deer you're GOING to kill.

Practice with your mask on, too, Aaron. There's NO substitute for being in that position (with a live target in front of you). Hopefully it'll get better the more times WE do it. Good luck to you, buddy.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I still get nervous at the site of a deer its a great feeling that if i ever lose i will quit hunting. You mentally got to calm yourself down talk to yourself the 1st one is the hardest after that it gets easier everytime you draw. The big 3 you want to remember is 1 RELAX 2 BEND AT THE WAIST 3 DEEP BREATH....Good luck!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM

I used to get super nervous ntil i got a few under my belt. now i just worry about making a clean kill then worry about getting nervous. Everyone tell's me i should give it up because i really dont get to worked up anymore. For me the fun part if finding, figuring out, and understanding where they are- when and why. I usually know what I am hunting and when i see him i am not to worked up. but I know exactly how you are feeling.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah i failed to mention it was also raining.....acorns