Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDM Question

Old 10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default QDM Question

How many years after you start practicing QDM do you start seeing a change in the quality of the bucks? I started practicing QDM about 2-3 years ago, and all I see is small 4's, and 6's, even this year. Every year, it seems like I am seeing the same size deer over and over again. Still waiting to see an improvement in my deer.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: QDM Question

How many acres are you talking? Are your neighbors doing the same?

Remember, your seeing 1.5 year olds. If you have some older deer say, 3.5, 4.5 and up, they are certainly smarter and more elusive. I'm not saying that is the case but do the math.

Those 1.5 year olds you passed 3 years ago are 4.5 year olds, those 2.5 year olds are 5.5 year olds.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM

How many acres are you talking? Are your neighbors doing the same?
this is the key to getting a good answer for this question. but anyway you look at it, when practicing qdm you're in for the long haul.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Dominant Buck

If the farmer to my south (also a hunter) stops shooting does (via depredation permit).....all hope is lost in my neck of the woods. I'll either have to look for somewhere else to hunt.......be happy shooting does.....or hope the guys on the other farm steps ot up a BUNCH.

Problem is (and I used to be part of it)......people around here (guys on 2 other properties) are ONLY going to shoot bucks. One group will kill SEVERAL.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am hunting on a small 10 acre chunk of land, bordered on 2 sides by a river. I have no idea what the guys on the other side of the river are doing. I am pretty sure that they shoot what ever comes by. I am not managing this for 160" deer, I would be happy jst to see something above 125".
Old 10-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could be in for a rough time, with that setup. All you can do though is wait on bucks that are out there but maybe seldom seen. For me, when I started targeting older bucks I had to abandon many of my old hunting ways and "relearn" things before I started seeing bigger bucks more consistently.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

rybo:

If it isn't threadjacking....I'd like to hear more on this. If it is....please PM me and expound. I may have to go down this road....but I'm gonna try the other way, first.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's really tough to do unless you have ACRES!!!!!! Or enlist the help of the neighbors. It can especially be hard to do when the motto in WI is "Did ya git yer buck?"