Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sonic American Broadheads

Old 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sonic American Broadheads

I must appologize the seach funtion is not working..

Any experience with these broadheads? I am mostly concerned with how robust they are. Do the the blades stay together on a kill?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sonic American Broadheads

I have only two experiences with the Sonics. When they offered up a free one for testing I sent for one. Prior to the season I received a second one with the letter stating that several went out with the wrong furrel (sp) so they sent me the correct one. KUDO's as it was free, they didn't need to do that.

When I shot my buck last season I hit it high in the shoulder and it took it off it's feet with a RM Snyper. I quickly grabbed a second arrow, it happened to be the Sonic and I sent it into the lungs of the buck while it flaired on the ground.

I recovered the arrows, the Sonic WAS missing one of it's blades however, once through the animal who cares, the blades would need replaced anyway.

The second, same scenerio. I filmed my buddy Q2INWHITETIALS spine his deer, he quickly grabbed a second arrow, (you guessed it) the other Sonic and sent it through the lungs and into the ground. The broadhead was devistated but again, it was in the ground.

NOW, they do fly like field points, were razor sharp but both did come apart in the ground. Is that a bad thing? No not really, the job was done. They are not my broadhead of choice at the moment but I would not rule them out either.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob's experience is not solitary... every test I've seen where they were shot into anything substantial, they absolutely crumpled. I'm saving mine for shooting at jackrabbits after we all take our antelope in '09. Ain't that right, Rob?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

my expirience is the same....fly well...the 2nd one they sent out was razor sharp..(first one i swear couldnt cut you...)

but...when it hit the wooden pallet behind my broadhead target, but turned to junk. theres alot worse heads out there....but that one aint in my quiver...decint little heads though.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM

I think their past offerings were less than stellar, but I have been shooting the new Buckmasters by ABC. They have new blades, that stay sharper longer. I have used the regular Sonics in the past, and used them successfully without damage. The arrow I sent through a doe last season had small nicks in the blades, after the pass through it came out in one piece, and stuck in ground another 6". You really have to tighten the broadhead down to keep the blades together!

I shot the Buckmasters into my Block 4x4 10 times, and they still shaved hair. And they were in one piece!

I got a few to test out on a doe next weekend when I go down to Peoria!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not trying to be mean, but I'd HOPE they were together after shooting them into foam!But after looking at past results... It may be good that you pointed that out, Jeff!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Not trying to be mean, but I'd HOPE they were together after shooting them into foam!But after looking at past results... It may be good that you pointed that out, Jeff!
Many people who had problems, simply did not tighten them enough, if you can see light through the tips, they are not tight enough..