Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who keeps a bowhunting log? Looking for suggestions....

Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who keeps a bowhunting log?

The water proof little yellow log books from the marine store are great. Can write on them with pencil to add the little notes I always seem to forget. Always make sure the log for each stand indicates the best wind. Nothing worse than sitting a stand when you should not..for whatever reason.
I also like the log cause I mark so many places with the GPS that I have to reference them to a waypoint or I just plain forget why I marked them in the first place.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

I started one this year. Mine records date, time, length of hunt, weapon, stand location, wind direction and speed, # bucks and does sighted, moon phase, rubs and scrapes found and a small section for notes. I'm hoping after aseason of recording data, I'll identify some of my mistakes, my best stands, and which areas hold the better concentration of deer and buck activity.

GH
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I keep a detailed log in MS Excel spreadsheet.

I use Excel ......
I'm averaging 1.162 deer per hour (dph)this season. That's up from last year's whopping 1.091 dph.
Frickin' Beancounters..... LOL
Old 10-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the event that you did not hunt the previous day, what the weather was like that day and what the weather is supposed to be the following day. That can show trends such as the day before a bad storm, or the day after, whatever.I have found it interesting.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who keeps a bowhunting log? Looking for suggestions....

I've been keeping an excel spreadsheet for the last 8 years. the columns I have are: date, am/pm, stand, hours hunted, deer seen, bucks seen, description.

One thing I've noticed from this log is that I hardly ever see deer from my favorite stand unless it's during the rut. and, during the rut, it's AWESOME. I never knew that until I looked back over the years. I of course also keep track of deer harvested.

this year I will hit 1000 hours hunted (in the 8 years). ugh, that's a lot.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Spike

I use an Access database. The information I enter is:

Date
Hunter
Stand
Weapon
Hunting method
Time of day
Length of hunt
Temperature
Sky conditions
Wind speed
Wind direction
Barometric trend
Moon phase
Bucks sighted
Antlerless Sighted
Unknown sightings
Comments

I also record any harvest information.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

i said i was goin to this year....got 6 hunts in this year and no log

maybe thats what i will do today while i wait for the oil on my boots to soak in. i dont see the use really...next year will may likely be my last in the state....then i can sell it on EBAY with gps coordinates and pics lol.....but i want to do it...just to track my spots and see what i see, when i see them, weather, moon etc...try to key in on days when deer seem to move better...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started a new one the other day when Greg/Mo posted the weatherunderground site. I've been printing out daily, hour by hour forcasts. They are well detailed and easy to add notes too. I simply place each daily print out once Ihave added my personal notes from a hunt orscoutin transparent sleeved binder. I, like Fran will load this info into a spreadsheet.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

This post reminded me to get my "log book" off the ground.

I'm gonna try the Deerdays.com free tracker deal. It looks pretty good.

I hope it doesn't have a bunch of spyware and junk up my computer.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx for bringing this up!!!

i really feel like crying right now.

i got roughly 27.5hrs logged on stand. deer sighting? T W O

.073 deer an hour

BUT....14 of those hours came from an early doe hunt. did see 1 deer those 3 hunts. i didnt hunt areas that i dont normally bow hunt because of the pressure...deer numbers are way down in there. one morning was super windy...another evening was super hot.

and the weather in my log shows that most of the time was either super hot or super windy...neither idea for deer movement...and half the hunts were full moons lol...

ahhh i dont feel THAT bad...i guess....lol...

Quick Reply: Who keeps a bowhunting log? Looking for suggestions....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.