Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you cut up your deer the same day as harvesting it?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Spike

Default Do you cut up your deer the same day as harvesting it?

My brother and I had a discussion last night on the way home from hanging a stand. We talked about how tired we are after finally locating, field dressing and dragging and then having to cut it up. I wondered if we are doing ourselves a disservice by cutting it up the same day. I've heard people like to "hang them" and get them "seasoned" but don't know if its the right thing to do.

Do you guys/gals cut yours up right away or do you let them hang? If you do let them hang, do you skin them and put something over it?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you cut up your deer the same day as harvesting it?

Ours are skinned and quarteredand in the cooler within 2 hours of harvest.

The whole process takes less than an hour.

Once they are in the cooler you have at least 4 days to process em or get him to the processor.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM

My buddies and I like to hang them if we can. If the weather is cold enough, we hang them for a day or so. If not, we pack them with ice and hang them 24 hours then butcher them.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

It depends on the weather. If its cold enough just let it hang with the skin on (field dressed of course). Here in TX its usually always too hot to let them hang so we quarter them us asap and get the quarters into the cooler. Then we have a couple days to get back to it and cut into steaks and such.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the weather for me. I will usually wait till the next day if weather permits. If not, i dont have problem with doing it the same day
Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once its home its all skun and cut up in about an hour! I dont waste time doing it!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Weather depending. If it is warm, I skin and and debone the meat immediatley. Then leave it in the coolers to age. If It is cold, but not freezing, then I will let them hang with the hide on. If it is freezing, then the hide comes off right away. It takes a while for the carcass to freeze completely and during that time it will age. However, removing the hide when frozen is extremely difficult.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Well, I'm going to have to butcher them as soon as I kill them this year. I currently live in an apartment complex and there is no other option.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually cut them up the same day unless it is real cold, then I don't worry about it as much. "Aging" me is pronounced "rotting" so it is not something I like to do.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

I usually cut them up the same day unless it is real cold, then I don't worry about it as much. "Aging" me is pronounced "rotting" so it is not something I like to do.
Do you like Prime Rib from a great steak house? They age that stuff for over 21 days.

Quick Reply: Do you cut up your deer the same day as harvesting it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.