Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

How late into the year is your seaon open? Sometimes late season is the easiest to take out does as their feeding options are rather limited.
Very true...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff

That is why 1 person can not do it IMO. I have had this discussion with many of my MI hunters.
You will over hunt 1 farm and they will move to the other where they are not being hunted.

IMO the only way a thinning can take place is with support of hunting by all in a area. Being you are it, it makes it real tough.
Good luck

Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - I face the same dilema. This weekend is going to be hot for MD (upper 80's) and humid. Yet at the same time the deer are feasting on acorns... I've got an oak patch that is3/4 mile walk... and no permanent stand there, so I need to take a climber.I just dont know if its worth ruining an area w/ tons of scent.. I might take the risk if the wind is perfect... also I've hunted the farm 3 nights now and am worried about pressuring the deer!! What to do, what to do!

But to Gr8attude's point, Ive got other farms to hunt... Which is probably my plan... but we shall see, either way I hate hunting in the heat...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well let's look at this from a management stand-point. The stated goal is herd reduction..it's not aboutthe hunt. It's whats right for the herd! So if I may borrow your line it's not about us it's about them, the benefit of the entire herd by the reduction of the few.

However you wish this to happen in a timely manner so they can begin to see the benefits..How many deer can ya legally take in a day in NC??? When is Gun season...Following along here? It's whats right for the herd!

Minimal intrusion maximum kill... simple!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

First.....

Sometimes you need more than 1 playing board!
In keeping with the analogy, though....I'm dealing with a specific board. I'm not interested in dealing with another board. Killing deer somwhere else wouldn't help me achive my goal.

Secondly....

I can't gun hunt the land I hunt.....even if I was so inclined.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know if thinning the doe herd was truly my only goal for a season I honestly wouldn't focus on getting it done only with a bow. Especially if this meant chances of educating the herd...........

I have a similar goal as you this year (I need to get 4 out of there) and I'm still bowhunting asI normally would because I know I can finish the doe thinning much more effectively during firearms season. If doe thinning is your true goal for the year I'd at least think about it as a "tool" to get the job done in a very effective manner..............
Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woops, looks like someone else posted the same thoughts I had on firearms.......guess this isn't an option.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I understand you can't accomplish your goal hunting another piece of property..BUt that would afford you hunting time while your core area ...airs out.
Typical Buck

Sounds like managing your deer heard is preparing for the future. So you can either hunt this year and try to take the buck that is there, or risk pushing him out for this year and take the does to make your herd healthier and stronger for years to come. It just depends on how long you plan on hunting this property.
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

First.....

Sometimes you need more than 1 playing board!
In keeping with the analogy, though....I'm dealing with a specific board. I'm not interested in dealing with another board. Killing deer somwhere else wouldn't help me achive my goal.

Secondly....

I can't gun hunt the land I hunt.....even if I was so inclined.
Bobcorrect me if I am wrong but Jeff Itook itas him saying take care of your doe problem there and perhaps hunt else where once you have attained your goal of doe kills.

Quick Reply: Catch-22......Deer Management-wise....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.