Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 Bowtech General

Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2008 Bowtech General

ORIGINAL: Primitive Weapon

Can't say I'm 100% happy with my General. I have 2 problems with it.

#1. On my bottom cam, there is a "loose" washer that rattles something fierce. Bugs the ever livin.....out of me.

#2. My string will bounce out of the string suppressor and click against the plastic housing.....making noise.

I called Bowtech and they said that possibly my cams out out of tune (on a new friggin bow) regarding the string/suppressor issue and that my bowshop should be able to fix the loose washer/rattle issue.

Other than those 2 things, it shoots fine. At this point, I'm starting to wish I had gone with the Diamond Marquis.

After shooting the Guardian last year and falling in love I was all ready to buy the Guardian or General. So I have shot them side by side twice.

1. When the string slaps on the string supp and it makes a crisp "SNAP" on both bows I shot at different dealers.

2. I also found loose screws on the TOP cam of one of them that rattled.

3. I also felt that the front loaded cam break over on the General made for a rougher initial draw.

4. And found the back valley on the General to be smaller than the Guardian.

I'm afraid I may be the only one alive that likes the Guardian better, but that will be my 08' bow over the General.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 95Harley

After shooting the Guardian last year and falling in love I was all ready to buy the Guardian or General. So I have shot them side by side twice.

1. When the string slaps on the string supp and it makes a crisp "SNAP" on both bows I shot at different dealers.

2. I also found loose screws on the TOP cam of one of them that rattled.

3. I also felt that the front loaded cam break over on the General made for a rougher initial draw.

4. And found the back valley on the General to be smaller than the Guardian.

I'm afraid I may be the only one alive that likes the Guardian better, but that will be my 08' bow over the General.

I agree with all those points except #3. I cannot tell much of a difference between the Guardian and the General. If anything, I think the General may be a bit smoother.

I have had to tighten the screws on both cam's at least twice.

I am not fond of the General and will sell it as soon as I get get my hands on one of the bowtech airborns.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Primitive Weapon
I am not fond of the General and will sell it as soon as I get get my hands on one of the bowtech airborns.
I had the same rattling problem with my General, as well as a badly twisted limb that I completely missed while at the shop due to eagerness to go shoot the dang thing. It is now on its way to Bowtech, and the dealer said he'd give me a new General as soon as it comes in. All this made me reconsider the purchase and I did look into getting one of the Airbornes instead, however after handling a bow of similar size ('07 Commander, 1" longer ATA than the 82nd Airborne) I changed my mind and will stick with the General. The Commander is freaking huge, I really wouldn't want to mess around with a bow that big in a treestand, let alone my ground blind.

The General really is a superb bow, if I could get one that didn't rattle and had straight limbs. I wasn't looking to trade it in because I didn't like how it performed, but because it pissed me off that my brand spanking new 2008 bow had two major issues right off the bat.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Shot the General, Guardian, Allegiance, and Drenalinforanhour this weekend at LAS and once again the Guardian comes out on top.

Drenalin - Light, smooth,LOTS ofNoise & Hand shock (even with a ST on)
Allegiance - Light, FAST!!!, Smooth, less vibration, but still noisy
Guardian - Small hand Thump (not shock), Quiet, fast, med heavy
General - NO SHOCK, String SNAP noiseon SS, Slower, heavier

I also put a ST on the Guardian and I thought it beat out the General. It was quieter, faster, lighter, and doesn't require a press. The Guardian is quieter out of the box than the Drenalin with a ST on it.

So unless Mathews comes out with a Holy Grail of hunting bows this week I'll have an 08' Guardian REAL SOON!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Spike

I'm a Mathews fan, but shot new bows yesterday, and boy what a smooth shooting bow The General is! Its making me really think twice.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Holy thread resurection batman. I ended up with the DXT over the Guardian. Never bought into the Mathews Hype but lighter, shorter, smoother, and yes faster.

Sound was slightly more but not enough to loose the comparison.

Both good bows and tops in the market IMO.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 95Harley

Holy thread resurection batman.
No kidding LOL!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 07 Guardian it's a great shooting bow very quiet and no vibration. But my bow shop is only 5 miles away and I have to stop 2 or 3 times and week and ended up shooting the 08 line up. The General, 101st, and the 82nd, all great shootingbows. I didn't need it but ended up bringing home the General after several thousand shots so far,I have no complaints other than busting nocks and arrows. ILove it.

To keep my wife happy, I may have to move farther away from my bow shop
Old 09-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Too short for me. I'm interested in the 36" ATA that's smokin fast, shock free and quiet. Until this Allegiance I am shooting, I've never shot anything less than a 36" bow.
The only bow to EVER beat Rob at a game of B.U.C.K. in his backyard!!LOL