Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So i have a story about not wearing a harness

Old 10-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Default So i have a story about not wearing a harness

Im 27, been hunting all my life with loc ons and climbers and never wore a safety belt cause i always thought the ole saying "oh it'll never happen to me". Well november 05 it did happen. I was on a big oak tree with my tree lounge climber, hunted this tree several times before without any problems. Anyway i was stupid and didn't have a rope to pull my rifle up so i left it on my back while climbing the tree. Also i never liked sitting down in the sling seat while climbing so i pushed the stand in so that i could sit on the bar while climbing which made it easier. Bear in mind i did this time and time again before without problem but i climbed up the tree which was beside a 8 ft. deep ditch, up 30 feet the tree to where i had a peg screwed in the tree i hang my rifle on to where i sit and bounded on the bar to lock the top part of the stand to the tree, i stand up on the foot climber and take my rifle off my back and i got to hang it on the peg and as soon as i got the sling on the peg i hear CLANK i really can't describe what it was really like.
What happened is the top part of the stand comes loose and falls to the foot climber and i am immeadiately airborn. It felt as if i were spinning in circles and all i could hear was the rush of wind running past my ears and i was coming to peace with the lord. It took maybe 3 seconds for me to hit the ground but it felt like i had a million things run through my mind. I was mainly thinking how can i land to survive this fall? I bebated landing on both feet which i figured would break my legs and back so i said the only way im going to make it is to land on my side. So basically im helpless anyway but i just balled up in a ball and braced my body as tight as i could and i actually hit the ground exactly how i planned.
My right shoulder took the first hit, then my right hip bone side hit, then my right leg hit and my foot twisted kinda backwards and then my face went straight into the ground. I fell in the bottom of the ditch which had maybe an inch of water in it but the ground was soft and i made around a 1 foot impression in the ground.
Basically i fell 38 FEET!!! measured with a tape measure later by my brother and for some reason which i haven't found out yet im hear to be able to tell about it.
I got busted up pretty bad but didn't break any bones, just fractured my shoulder in 2 places, fractured my hip, fractured my right ankle in 4 places, fractured my nose in 2 places and busted my lip. I had my cell phone in my pocket before i fell and when i hit the ground it knocked it out of my pocket and 10 feet away from me and was laying in mud and water but luckily it still worked and i called my brother (instead of 911?) and he at first didn't believe me, said i would be dead if i had fell out of that tree but it finally got thru to him that i wasn't joking and he came and got me and we went to the emergency room. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days and was in alot of pain and out of work for 3 months. My leg was the biggest problem, it was swelled up like a balloon for 2 months but the orthopedic didn't cast it just put me in a splint. I still have some problems with my ankle today but so far i would say im 98 percent in recovery.
Sorry for the long post, which this is only a short version of it but my advice is WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS, even when climbing cause you may think you are invinsable when it comes to this topic but trust me you definately are not!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: So i have a story about not wearing a harness

ORIGINAL: dblunged

Im 27, been hunting all my life with loc ons and climbers and never wore a safety belt cause i always thought the ole saying "oh it'll never happen to me". Well november 05 it did happen. I was on a big oak tree with my tree lounge climber, hunted this tree several times before without any problems. Anyway i was stupid and didn't have a rope to pull my rifle up so i left it on my back while climbing the tree. Also i never liked sitting down in the sling seat while climbing so i pushed the stand in so that i could sit on the bar while climbing which made it easier. Bear in mind i did this time and time again before without problem but i climbed up the tree which was beside a 8 ft. deep ditch, up 30 feet the tree to where i had a peg screwed in the tree i hang my rifle on to where i sit and bounded on the bar to lock the top part of the stand to the tree, i stand up on the foot climber and take my rifle off my back and i got to hang it on the peg and as soon as i got the sling on the peg i hear CLANK i really can't describe what it was really like.
What happened is the top part of the stand comes loose and falls to the foot climber and i am immeadiately airborn. It felt as if i were spinning in circles and all i could hear was the rush of wind running past my ears and i was coming to peace with the lord. It took maybe 3 seconds for me to hit the ground but it felt like i had a million things run through my mind. I was mainly thinking how can i land to survive this fall? I bebated landing on both feet which i figured would break my legs and back so i said the only way im going to make it is to land on my side. So basically im helpless anyway but i just balled up in a ball and braced my body as tight as i could and i actually hit the ground exactly how i planned.
My right shoulder took the first hit, then my right hip bone side hit, then my right leg hit and my foot twisted kinda backwards and then my face went straight into the ground. I fell in the bottom of the ditch which had maybe an inch of water in it but the ground was soft and i made around a 1 foot impression in the ground.
Basically i fell 38 FEET!!! measured with a tape measure later by my brother and for some reason which i haven't found out yet im hear to be able to tell about it.
I got busted up pretty bad but didn't break any bones, just fractured my shoulder in 2 places, fractured my hip, fractured my right ankle in 4 places, fractured my nose in 2 places and busted my lip. I had my cell phone in my pocket before i fell and when i hit the ground it knocked it out of my pocket and 10 feet away from me and was laying in mud and water but luckily it still worked and i called my brother (instead of 911?) and he at first didn't believe me, said i would be dead if i had fell out of that tree but it finally got thru to him that i wasn't joking and he came and got me and we went to the emergency room. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days and was in alot of pain and out of work for 3 months. My leg was the biggest problem, it was swelled up like a balloon for 2 months but the orthopedic didn't cast it just put me in a splint. I still have some problems with my ankle today but so far i would say im 98 percent in recovery.
Sorry for the long post, which this is only a short version of it but my advice is WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS, even when climbing cause you may think you are invinsable when it comes to this topic but trust me you definately are not!
Wow! Glad you came through that ok...well sorta ok. That's one hell of a fall, I'm sure the soft ground is the reason you're typing this story tonight. I agree, safety harnesses are a must. We owe it to our loved ones to be as safe as possible.

On another note......hate to be the one to let you in on this but a fracture IS a break...may not be a bad one but a break none the less.

Reminds me of a time when I was in college playing football and Glen Kozlowski (Went on to play receiver for the Chicago Bears) got into a fight during practice with a D-linemen no less(you had to know Glen...tough SOB) Anyway Glen got his nose broke and the next day at practice when I saw him with his nose bandaged I asked "Is it broken Glen?" He says to me "Nah......I just kinda cracked it a little"[&:]

This just reminded me of that...Glad you're ok.