Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Explain this fellas ...

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Explain this fellas ...

Hunting in MD. Was in my stand at 4:30 this evening until 7:30. I saw 5 fawns, all of which were different with no Doe's and came by from different areas about 30 mins apart. 3 were visible atthe sametime but were about 100 yards apart, the other 2 came by later, 1 was a spot so Im sure they were all different. I saw one 120" 8 pt buck come by me grunting away, I heard him grunting before I saw him but was thinking, nooo way, couldnt be, til I saw him. Where do you think the Does are to the fawns? Ive only taken 1 Doe from our property, these could be fawns from Does taken on other properties but Im kind of skeptical about that. Coincidence? This was the first buck Ive seen in about a week.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Explain this fellas ...

It's not unusual to hear the buck grunt. They are ready, the does are not and bucks and does are very vocal. I've grunted in bucks from the first day to the last day. Saturday we had a 4 point grunting up a storm scent checking the does in the field.

Are the fawns you saw button bucks? I only saw one fawn/yearling alone, it was a button.

Although it's not unusual to see fawns alone, at least where I hunt.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

id say the fawns could be buttons. does will run off their offspring if their bucks to deter them from imbreading, usually they run em out of the area. its usually not until spring or later, but im sure some run em off early.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a pair of fawns on Saturday evening for quite a while waiting for their momma. I don't think it's unusual for them to be a ways off from momma this time of the year.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say the does are getting close to starting to push the fawns away, in anticipation of the breeding season... Our neck of the woods is a month away, but that's pretty close in the grand scheme of things.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Push fawns away???? Tell me more. I've heard of buck fawns being pushed out.....but not doe fawns...and I assumed buck fawns were pushed in their yearling year. I'd like to hear some more on this.

Friend of mine saw a doe, Saturday, with SEVEN fawns. Neither of us are stupid.....but it must have been interesting. If he can see a doe with seven.....at least 4 of them were orphans (if you equate this story to Diesel's).
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

i agree with you gmmat(about the orphans). the most fawns ive ever seen a doe push out of her was 3. also ive only heard of does pushing away buck fawns as well, havent heard of em pushing away there doe fawns. i always thought they kinda grouped up year round except for during breading phase.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Does won't push off their fawn does. (Never have I heard of this)They can and will stay together in maternal groups of several generations. The buck fawns however will be unless the maternal doe is taken from the heard. They can and many times do stay in the birthing area. (Fall Dispersal) There is however nothing stopping fawns from wondering off with another herd of doe....nothing is a given when it comes to whitetails.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

i didnt know that they were still "welcome" to live in the birthing area (buck fawns) I heard somewhere that the does will push em as far away as possible to keep from imbreading. However it doesnt really make sense because with deer...Bucks can breed sisters, daughters, and un-related but they cant breed mothers they can try but Ive heard through other deer farmers that if the "mother" allows him to try it just wont "take"
Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, sorry... didn't mean to confuse you. I guess I was thinking it a was a "given" that I was referring to buck fawns...

Quick Reply: Explain this fellas ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.