Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow tuning

Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM

Default bow tuning

Hey guys This is my first post to this site i had a quick question i shoot a hoyt trykon right now and use rage 2 blade and g5 strikers or tekans but the broadhead that i want to use is a muzzy but i just cant get them thingss to fly right any ideas of what i can try and do thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bow tuning

Could be many things. Experiment, but remember what you've done so you can at least return to where you were.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 PM

You can keep changing tips between the arrows and get them to spin test with no wobble,then they should(if your bow is tuned right)shoot just like fieldpoints! You can also try each broadhead on each arrow, I know this sounds wierd but It works for me!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM

thats my biggest problem the bow is tuned right its just i shoot the axis arrows that have hidden insertsand u can tune the broadheads so do you think maybe try a different arrow?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

how are the arrows flying with the muzzys. what head and weight are you shooting? are you over spinded or underspined? we need more info.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 AM

maybe this seems obvious and trite, but, if the g5's and rage's are shooting well for you, why bother with the muzzy's??? sounds like a lot of hassle that isn't gonna buy you much in terms of kill-ability of your shot... the G5 and Rage BH's are pretty good pieces and I'm not sure the muzzy will do much better for you (from a damage perspective)... sometimes shooting what works isn't exactly shooting what you WANT...
Old 10-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dropped my bow out of a tree last year and it took me until last week to get it shooting right. I did wait until about two months ago to start messing with it though. New house, four kids, yadie, yadie, ya…

My bow was tuned, first by me, then by a “pro”, then by another “pro” and finally by me again. Two things that really helped out, setting the poundage up to the top and getting good consistent groups with field tips. Are you shooting field tips well? The fletchings or feathers will correct a field tip rather quickly, but a fixed broad head is like having fletchings on the front of the arrow. Normally, however it is hitting the target is how it is coming out of the bow. I used about six different broad heads after I was shooting really good with the field tips. The muzzy 100 1” shot the most consistent, but a little off to the left. Moved my biscuit to the right 1/16” and it was right on the money. I also used an expandable broad head, which was the NAP scorpion XT (I think it was an XT?) and it shot well, but after a few shots in the target you have to replace all the hardware that holds the blades against the tip while in flight, which sucks. I shot two muzzys about three hundred times and never lost a blade and still managed to cut myself! I ordered some slick tricks, which I’m going to try out also (got to love their warranty), but will most likely wait to use them next year.
Good luck,
KP
Old 10-03-2007, 12:16 PM

The arrows fly staright no wobble or any thing like thatthey are just flying 4 inches to the left and with my field points i group great i think im going to do what seven mag said just use the rage and g5s ill just try to sell the pac kof muzzy or keep them for spares thatnks alot
Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 PM

In my experience its not uncommon for arrows to group slightly different between field points and fixed blade broadheads. If it was me and I wanted to shoot the muzzy's I would simply move my sight pins. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best.