Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thank goodness for the safety vest

Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 AM

Default RE: Thank goodness for the safety vest

Glad your Ok.......
I also use a climber.....this year I am using a ratchet strap on top and bottom.....I think that will help me feel more secure....just a tip that may help.....
Old 10-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Bartender

I think it was earlyin or davidmil that said take and use a screw in hook below the cables on these things.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Full harness or a simple strap but always tie yourself in!! To many guys get to qualify for the disabled hunts just by falling as little as a few feet.
I weara belt type set up where one belt goes around me but right up under the arms and the other goes around the tree. Not the best system, but some of the full vest harnesses seem to be bulky and wiegh to much.
I know you guys are alert and in tune the whole time you are in a tree but I have dosed a time or two and that little head bob that wakes you up can put the fear of god in you quickly.
I have heard of guys that wear a belt but wear it to low and have heard of instances that by doing that when they fall they arehanging upside down. You can pass out pretty quickly hanging upside down 5 feet down a tree. Just be careful!!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Ok Folks, Please see this thread... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2351333&mpage=1&key=?lets help our fellow hunters.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Im not sor worried abotu losing my seat in my climber as much as I am losing my bottom. I make sure they are both tied to gether. I dont normally wear my harness in my climber as Im surrounded by a full bar. I feel pretty secure and dont go to extreme heights with it. 15 feet max and only climb trees that I know and have climbed before numerous times. I think its time to start using the harness. I wear one all the time in my hang ons but not in my ladder stand or climber. I feel very comfortable in them with out one. But things can change in a hurry as you have shown.
I pretty much do the same thing. I have a strap that I tie the 2 pieces together with when I'm carrying it and use it to attach the two pieces together when climbing the tree. I stay within 15 feer as well, just because I usually level out by then. I also usually climb tree's that Ive climbed before, but it doesn't really make a differenvce. The tree I was in last night. I must have hunted 10 times or so within the last 2 years. The tree just didn't wanna cooperate this time LOL