Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strategy ?? # 4

Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strategy ?? # 4

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

If you have an area that you get pics of bucks using every few days, but with no regularpattern. Do youhuntit every day for a week, and hope you don't polute the area with scent. Or do you hunt it once or twice a week, and hope you pick the right day to be there. Like the guys said above (very good points) it would be beneficial to have a stand for different wind directions, giving you more options. A climber would be nice right now for you since it wouldbe hard to go in there right now and hang several optionsstandswithoutwrecking the area with scent.We are our own worst enemies when it comes to human scent during the early season. We are forced to hunt close to bedding areas this time of the year if we want to kill a big buck.

Deer, especially older bucks movethe majority of timeafternightfall, well after we have left our stands. They do their best detective work ie scent checking an area for doessay in the rut or for predators right now...allunder the cover of darkness. Yes they will get downwind of our stands eventually. Maybe not during the daylight while we are sitting there,but after hours they move into areas they wouldnt normally during the day. So even if the wind is perfect for a hunt, that doesnt mean you won't get winded and located from your residual odor you leave behind. Finally, each deer in the woods is different in what they will tolerate and how they will respond to this stimuli. Again, we must roll the dice and hope they make a mistake during the daylight cause we sure as heck can't kill them at home. Can we ruin a spot, oh yes, really easy.

These bucks may also be bedded near the hunting site. But it is an easy spot to get in and out of with little disturbance. I believe with any bucks or does that have a few years under thier belt, the more options we have to keep them guessing (different stands,rotating to different areas etc)like you later talked about John in your reply post....the better we up our odds. It's almost impossible to hunt a spot more than a couple times a week close to an old bucks bedding area in the early season, without him catching onto us if we dont kill him right away.I think you arespot on when you say you will play the wind the best you can, be as clean as you can and keep mixing it up to keep them guessing. Good luck. Hopefully you'll kill one of them in there on your first sit or two, which is usually the best chance a guy has on a mature buck.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strategy ?? # 4

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I would go with the latter.... Pick a day with a storm or cold front maybe even a day the wind shifts completely different than the previous day(s).

IMO.... Easier said than done when you know you are getting the traffic though
Kind along the lines of what i was going to say...

I would pay attention to the wind direction in the morning of the day your gettin the pictures. A lot of time this dictates where they bed, therefore where they will come from to feed. You might see a pattern there.

If still they are coming at completely random times then, like buckeye said, get in there right before or aftera front.