Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strategy ?? # 4

Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Strategy ?? # 4

Don't believe this for a second. A deer, especially a suburban deer willknow the difference from house smells and the smellright in their immediate area. If you treat all deer as having superior smell to the point of giving them too much credit, your sucess will go up. I've been hunting suburban deer for 24 years and believe thatin order for them to survive, their smell differentiation skills are much better than the deer that have less human contact. Otherwise, they'd be too scared to move around, which most mature bucks won't if they detect a scent out of the ordinary.
greg.....I admit I've gotten lazy on 3 occasions, this year.....and not de-scnted (showered) after work. I felt like I was in a race for time to get in stand....and I knew the wind was right for the spot I was going into.

I probably should have just stayed home. I won't mention whether or not I killed anything or not. I haven't killed a buck....so that accounts to substantiate your post (in theory, anyways).

I just can't cut corners.....and I TRULY appreciate you giving the "suburban" deer his due. I hunt deer that DO come into contact with humans.....probably more than a lot of people's herd does. They have their own challenges...and they're by NO MEANS "dumbed down". They have US patterned.....instead of the transverse. They know the difference between a little human scent....and a little more, also.

Thanks for posting that.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Listening to guys like Rob, Greg/MO and GegH concerning just this subject in the last few weeks......I'd say you can't kill him if you aren't there. I've always been one to subscribe to not hunting the same area (tree) too many times. These guys say if the wind's right.....HUNT.

I'll do jus tthat.....when the time gets right.
GMMAT, also include........ and I haven't been busted.

....if the wind is right and I haven't been busted..... HUNT.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

greg.....I admit I've gotten lazy on 3 occasions, this year.....and not de-scnted (showered) after work. I felt like I was in a race for time to get in stand....and I knew the wind was right for the spot I was going into.
As long as the wind was right you were probably alright too, as long as you don't touch anything with your hands or skin.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 PM

What I'm getting here, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, is as long as the wind is right, hunt it. Don't worry too much about overhunting it? I don't think that's really what you're saying, I'm just a bit confused.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Site Buck Guru

Think about it.... if you can get to and from your stand without getting busted and the wind blows your scent to an area that won't be picked up by the deer..... why not hunt it?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM

i leave my cloths outside all night and all day i have to rush home to be in the stand 3 hours before dark. i dont take a shower, BUT i hunt the wind. as long as you wear rubber boots and try not to touch anything you should be fine right?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Think about it.... if you can get to and from your stand without getting busted and the wind blows your scent to an area that won't be picked up by the deer..... why not hunt it?
I've always kind of thought that, but then not overhunting a stand is pounded into us, so..........
Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

mobo that's exactly what he's saying.

GregH said he hunted one stand 24 times out of 74 hunts, last year (pretty good off memory, huh, GregH?).

I'm convinced I can hunt whenever I CAN (assuming wind is right).....now. It's changed my outlook (as long as I'm doing everything else, right). This is, of course, assuming I'm not whacking does in this area.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I'm back after my daughter kicked me off the puter. You all have good points, and I agree suburban deer are not dumb. But I do believe if you can reduce the amount of scent you put off, they might not think you are as close as you are.

But I will play the wind to my advantage when I hunt this area. Altho when Don hunted there last weekend he had a doe come in from the opposite direction I have pics of the bucks coming in from. There is also a small thicket on that side of the setup right behind a house. I plan on keeping them guessing where I will be setup. Hopefully one of these days our paths will cross.

Here are a few of the bucks using the area.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Scott, but let's not forget that the most important thing is to start your day off with a "premium" salad. That should do you well. I'm pretty sure that the last time we (I) did that we ALL killed several animals that day .

Quick Reply: Strategy ?? # 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.