Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strategy ?? # 4

Old 10-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Strategy ?? # 4

Back to the original question, I would try to hunt it a few times a week and keep your scent as low as possible. Hopefully you can catch them in their scattered pattern. I don't blame you for hunting it every day though, but since I'm not hunting there, it's alot easier for me to say to stay out.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM

John, weren't some of the pics you sent me from that spot in mid morning? Maybe saturday or sunday this week (if you're not in Illinois [:@]) sit there from like 10-2......??? Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Site Buck Guru

Do you have stands set up for all wind directions? If so, and it's possible to sneak in there undetected, hunt the stand that's right for the given wind. If you only have 1 or 2 stands, only hunt them when the wind is right for them. I think you see my point. If the wind is rightfor a week, and you can get in and out undetected, go for it.

Side note. Unless you have a buck that you like patterned or spotted in the area, I'd wait until around Oct.17th before hunting the area that hard. I find that the bucks in my area (big bucks) usually don't start showing themselves during daylight hours until after the 17th or later.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

John, weren't some of the pics you sent me from that spot in mid morning? Maybe saturday or sunday this week (if you're not in Illinois [:@]) sit there from like 10-2......??? Just a thought.
Yes they were there around 11:40 and then around 4:30 the same day. That is why I believe they bed pretty close to the creek and come down for a drink once in a while.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

Do you have stands set up for all wind directions? If so, and it's possible to sneak in there undetected, hunt the stand that's right for the given wind. If you only have 1 or 2 stands, only hunt them when the wind is right for them. I think you see my point. If the wind is rightfor a week, and you can get in and out undetected, go for it.

Side note. Unless you have a buck that you like patterned or spotted in the area, I'd wait until around Oct.17th before hunting the area that hard. I find that the bucks in my area (big bucks) usually don't start showing themselves during daylight hours until after the 17th or later.
I do have a couple of different trees to use. But scent probably isn't as big an issue here. These are suburban deer and houses are within 60 yards or so. There is human scent around. Just don't want to concentrate it too much.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt it when the wind is right
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Listening to guys like Rob, Greg/MO and GegH concerning just this subject in the last few weeks......I'd say you can't kill him if you aren't there. I've always been one to subscribe to not hunting the same area (tree) too many times. These guys say if the wind's right.....HUNT.

I'll do jus tthat.....when the time gets right.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

ORIGINAL: GregH

I do have a couple of different trees to use. But scent probably isn't as big an issue here. These are suburban deer and houses are within 60 yards or so. There is human scent around. Just don't want to concentrate it too much.
John this the one thing i have learned past 8 years.

Patents and sticking to my game plan will get me more mature bucks than hunting a spot because I think I will see him, even when it is not right.

I hunt a stand to kill a deer,a lotguys hunt a stand to see deer. These two things are very different. IMO
Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

John this the one thing i have learned past 8 years.

Patents and sticking to my game plan will get me more mature bucks than hunting a spot because I think I will see him, even when it is not right.

I hunt a stand to kill a deer,a lotguys hunt a stand to see deer. These two things are very different. IMO
Nice post... You make a great point.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

But scent probably isn't as big an issue here. These are suburban deer and houses are within 60 yards or so. There is human scent around. Just don't want to concentrate it too much.
Don't believe this for a second. A deer, especially a suburban deer willknow the difference from house smells and the smellright in their immediate area. If you treat all deer as having superior smell to the point of giving them too much credit, your sucess will go up. I've been hunting suburban deer for 24 years and believe thatin order for them to survive, their smell differentiation skills are much better than the deer that have less human contact. Otherwise, they'd be too scared to move around, which most mature bucks won't if they detect a scent out of the ordinary.

Quick Reply: Strategy ?? # 4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.