Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

ORIGINAL: LebeauHunter

KP,

Your screen name fits your post perfectly.
Thanks, I think...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:19 PM

I agree. I've lost a few good spots because the land owners hear about some jerk tearing up a neighboring farmers land or shooting at cattle.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 PM

Shooting at cattle, wow what a lowlife
Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Germ..I don't find it offensive nor do I find posting the pics offensive...I find the fact that now some yahoo wrote an article that we are our own worst enemy..and everyone is so quick to jump on board! Thats what is offending me at the moment!
Well it's life

We find people who act less than mature in all aspects, it really should not be news, LOL

How many yahoos do you see on the golf course?
Driving?
Teachers?
lawyer(all of them), J/K

Do we have some bad apples, yes, but we are no differnet than any other group.

IE
My favorite Buckeye

Clarett
Had a similar reply prepared but thought it was too much so i settled with "it's a good reminder". Glad you said it.

Were supposed to tolerate all kinds of people why are hunters any different? Start acting whipped. Start acting like were walking on egg shells and people will push it as far as it can go untill we are no more. Everything right with being respectful to our neighbors, but were just people who need as much slak as anyone else.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

"The weak link of the gene pool"....

We have a saying out west. It goes something like this: 100% of the elk are killed by 10% of the hunters". This, of course, is an annual occurence.

10-15% of the population are hunters. 10-15% are anti hunters. That leaves 70-80% sitting somewhere on the fence.

I'm just curious why someone would patronize that 70-80%? The last time I checked we evolved from a social order primarily based upon HUNTING AND GATHERING. Whereas, the GATHERS accounted for 80 % of the subsistance.

Seems that "80" number has been around for some time.

The way I see it, 80% of the population dictatesWHAT I can and cannot hunt,WHEN I can and cannot hunt,WHERE I can and cannot hunt,HOWI CAN AND CANNOT HUNT, AND LASTLY, WHYI CAN AND CANNOT HUNT. The last thing I want to do is tell them they're the weak link in the gene pool! If you think this isn't serious, then take a real quick look at the number of countries which allow bowhunting in Europe! There is a time and a place for everything. For goodness sake, exercise a little common sense! We are not on an islandnor do we not rely on survival of the fittest! If you think the people around us do notmerit respect, then go ahead andupset them-ruin it for all of us!

Hunting is like passing gas. It happens and sometimes it's necessary. But it is not something you want to do in someone's face! Especially when that someone has the ability toinsert a plug!

Common sense.....Here's a link:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14094298/detail.html

This is happening in my home county. If Anita Moss and her husband are successful (jury was told they're part of the weak gene pool), can you imagine the precedence this will establish. Hunting across this great nation will be in seriously jeopardy! It will only take one person to "feel" unsafe! All public lands around this person will be closed to hunting forever! You think it serious enough torefrain from callingthem cavemen?

Damn straight, I am a hunter and I want to keep it that way! If I have to dance with a less than perfect (Ugly) girl now and then, then so be it!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Well said, huck....

And KP....with all due respect...

Do lions harvest gazelle?
No, they kill them.....but the lion doesn't have to worry about thegiraffe taking away his right to hunt the gazelle.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 AM
Host of Hosts

I agree with the article
Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree and wrote an article kind of like this:
In my world I can categorize all people into four categories.
First you have the Hunter. This is a person who respects his or her game, the game laws, and all resources available to him or her. This person strives to make good ethical decisions in all aspects of hunting. This person will ask permission to use land; ensure to keep his or her hunting area cleaner than it was when they arrived. This person respects the laws and understands that the laws are there to help keep our heritage alive and well. This person despises poaching, wasting meat, unethical ‘hunters’, and does their best to prevent such acts. A hunter will in someway give back to the future generations of hunters. This is exhibited by obeying laws and making good decisions, becoming a mentor, or by teaching their own children our ways.

Second you have Slob Hunters. These are mostly the weekend warriors. They take out their rifles during bow season. They spot light. They poach. They kill more than they are allowed. They trespass. They steal. They kill anything that walks out. Generally the Motto and mentality during hunting is: “If it’s brown, it’s down.” They lie. They cheat. They do not perfect their shots. They wound animals. They prefer not to read animal signs. They are often inexperienced trackers. They do not know what the art of hunting really is. They are slowing killing us!

Thirdly you have the Non-Hunters. These are the majority of people. They don’t hunt, but are not exactly against hunting. These are the fence riders. If we don’t do what we as Hunters are supposed to do when we encounter a Non-Hunter, we could push them to the other side. They could help us or hurt us. It all depends on how we treat them, act around them, maintain ourselves around them.

Lastly there are Anti-Hunters. They believe killing an animal is wrong. Murder even. They will never understand our passion, our heritage, or our rights. These people strive each and every day to end to the sport we love and minimize the number of hunters.

The Non-Hunter is the category we need to be very conscience about. We need to ensure we make good decisions always. I know when I take an animal I have a sense of pride about it. But there are a few things we can do to help ourselves when we exhibit our trophies. We should not display our harvests to people who do not want to see it. We need to be careful about what we allow to be seen. We also need to be careful about what we are seen doing.
Remember when the media reports about a poacher, they will and do, call him or her a Hunter. We know a poacher is NOT a hunter, but the Non-Hunters may not. This may influence them. How many “good” stories have you heard on the radio, TV, or read in the newspaper about a Hunter? Very few if any. However, we have all heard about the “hunter” who shot other hunters over an argument about a deer stand, or that local poacher that the media called a “hunter.”

Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

We’re killers, and so are the anti’s, they’re just not capable of thinking through this subject, or probably any other in a logical or methodical manner. Sure they will sway a portion of the weaker side of the public into believing what they say. That’s the way that it works. Sorry but it happens here, to us, the hunters as well. I think many of you and them should go take a class in logic or formal debate before being able to represent hunters, or any other cause that you feel strongly about, because that is what we’re doing, here, on line.

You start using words like harvest and you’re giving in to politics. Do lions harvest gazelle? Or do they kill them and eat them? Don’t sugar coat anything or no one will believe what you say; since you’re now a politician.

I hunt deer because I enjoy killing them and eating them; it is a celebration of my existence. I am the offspring of the worthy hunters, and I belong to the only extant hominids because of it! I am proud of those before me, and I’m certainly thankful. I will not disrespect them by giving into the weak end of the gene pool, and I won’t down play the extent of their achievements by engaging in an overly simplified game of political correctness.

To use the word harvest is to hide the word kill. And when you have to hide what you’re doing, you’re doing something wrong. When you’re doing something wrong, you won’t do it for long.

Man-up, go kill something. Just make sure you eat it and it will all be fine.

KP

Disclaimer - I agree with the article, just not some of you deep-enders... (if that's a word)

Huckleberry,
“the weak” were not defined as “all non hunters” in my post. They were the people who are easily swayed to an extreme end of a given topic and represent a very small percentage of society. Perhaps I didn’t get that point across very well, or you didn’t take the time to read it, and comprehend it. But, my point is, I am not going to base my decision or actions on what these people are going to do or say. They will always be there, doing what they feel that they should be doing. I’ve got too much that I need to do, and want to do in my life, to waste any time dealing with them. They are not worthy of my time.
On to the other 80% you referenced, it is my opinion that we should not pretend that we don’t exist or hide from them. You mentioned common sense, and I agree, and stated that I agreed with the original post, and or its reference material. I’m not, and I didn’t state that you should in any way flaunt hunting or killing. However, I do believe that if you try to hide, cover-up, or sugar coat anything, it is perceived as doing something wrong, and we should be careful not to portray the image that we’re doing something wrong. We’re not doing anything wrong. We are celebrating our existence, no matter what you found “the last time you checked.”

Do you know how people came to inhabit North America? In case you don’t I’ll give you the short version; we (humans, the only remaining form of hominids) followed migratory big game animals. The men were the hunters (which I guess may be the 20% you mentioned) the women and children were gatherers, I guess, I mean what else are they going to do while the men are hunting (anyway the other 80% perhaps)? We followed these animals across the Bering Strait each year and then back into Russia and we did this for a very long time. In fact we did this until the ice/snow bridge melted away at the end of the ice age, and some of use were stuck, here, in North America. Those people eventually settled down and started hunting other animals, such as the white tail deer. They were the first to plant roots in north America and decide to not migrate. They were later known as the Pueblos. What does this have to do with anything you ask? We weren’t crossing the Bering Strait twice a year (long journey) to gather as you mentioned, or implied. Unless we were gathering ice and snow…

But, to not disagree totally, even longer ago, we were primarily gatherers, but then we became scavengers also, with a new taste for meat. And finally we liberated ourselves into hunters. In my opinion, this was the biggest step in mans history, and the events that lead up to become hunters, and our travels there after, are most likely the only reason that we are the extant hominid. Therefore I will celebrate the accomplishments of those before me. If you want to cower in the face of the liberals who act as if they’re doing you a favor by allowing you to hunt, go ahead, that is your right. But I will not, I will be proud of who I am and I will continue to not hide what I do. Sure I’ll do it with a level of respect, but I will not budge on what I think is my right. My right as an American, and my right as a man.

I’ve quoted myself to make it easy for you to reread what I originally wrote, if you’re interested.

Respectfully,

KP

P.S. GMMAT, The lion doesn’t fear the giraffe, and neither should you.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

KP,

Respectfully, I do not need a history lesson. I've been there done that-trust me. That was then and this is now! Yes, we have evolved as hominids. Correct me if I'm wrong,arewe notan industrial based society presently? That is ahuge step for subsistance hunting and gathering. And hunters were not the sole reason we are where we areTODAY (maybe then but not now).Asan industrail based society,is the need for subsistance hunting and gather necessary (I think not). Darwinism pushes aside those that are not fit. Are we as hunters fit in this society? Yes, I agree, we should not cower in the face of liberals. However, you must concede we should act with prudence. I am not against you. I am with you. I like hunting and I want it to be around for eternity.

I cannot help but to get the image of some Neanderthal standing on a soap box ranting and raving about his past and celebrating his existence...while, all the home sapien sapiens are saying "yeah, whatever".

Quick Reply: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.