Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

I CLEARLY stated that the events of THIS season (in post after post) have chnged my view on hunting AND the quarry FOREVER (and that statement you quoted was made PRIOR to said events).
I can't be any clearer than this.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think I've made my "intent" clear.....I'm out.

Ok breathe ..in out in out.. whew ok

Now I bet the above quote isn't true either
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Germ..I don't find it offensive nor do I find posting the pics offensive...I find the fact that now some yahoo wrote an article that we are our own worst enemy..and everyone is so quick to jump on board! Thats what is offending me at the moment!
But in some respects we are our own worst enemy. I agree with the gentleman (sorry I diidn't take the time to call you by name) who presented the idea that times have changed and the non-hunting community who may or may not be on the fence regarding hunting could be turned off and thereby become anti by some of the things we say and do as a group.

A little tact out in public amongst the masses goes a long way.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 AM

If you don't think we are our own worst enemies just read through this thread let alone some of the other threads. He have members calling each other out by name and tearing each other down.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

While I would agree that slobs like the one in the story certainly cause us some image problems, I disagree that that we are solely responsible for creating antis. A would be anti is recruited by established antis in most cases. Their minds are made up for them via indoctrination, dogma, and in many cases outright lies. You can't reason with a fanatic. Next time just look them in the eye and ask "Really? And just how many animals died so that you could enjoy your last tofu burger?" Ninety-eight percent of them are so disconnected from how food is really produced that they don't even know what a "crop damage permit" is or how it works. The few who can answer the question will invariably try to change the subject since they can't defend their position anymore. Bottom line, they're complicit whether they'll admit it or not, so remind them of their complicity in a polite but firm fashion. They'll lose all credibility, and in most cases will simply walk away.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Germ..I don't find it offensive nor do I find posting the pics offensive...I find the fact that now some yahoo wrote an article that we are our own worst enemy..and everyone is so quick to jump on board! Thats what is offending me at the moment!
Well it's life

We find people who act less than mature in all aspects, it really should not be news, LOL

How many yahoos do you see on the golf course?
Driving?
Teachers?
lawyer(all of them), J/K

Do we have some bad apples, yes, but we are no differnet than any other group.

IE
My favorite Buckeye

Clarett

Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whocould beour worst enemy.....whocould theoreticallystop hunting as we know it, if put to a vote? It is not antis...they are a distinct minority...it is the general nonhunting population. Like it or not, we have to care about what 'they' think of us.

While most would disagree with me, i consider it a bigger deal, in the bigger picture, than someone who gets caught poaching. Poaching is illegal, simple as that....I know quite a few nonnunters and they can all distinguish between 'poacher' and 'hunter' but can they distinguish between the yahoo who is bragging it up about the big one he just stuck and a hunter who does thier best to show respect for the animal?

As has been more elequently stated earlier, there is talk among hunters(example, the massive damage on GMMATs doe), then there is how one phrases things to everyone else...

Most of us ARE probably too quick to point fingers (I have regreted words relating to this on more than one occation)....but is that not better than no finger pointing at all?

Joe
Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ
How many yahoos do you see on the golf course?
Driving?
Teachers?
lawyer(all of them), J/K

Do we have some bad apples, yes, but we are no differnet than any other group.

IE
My favorite Buckeye

Clarett
The point is if Clarett..posted an article the was titled...My Way to the NFL for all Undergrads.... and then every undergrad said hey what a great idea and jumped on board where would we be??

Yes idiots are part of life..they do not become a force until they have followers.

Have I been denied access to lands because of the slob hunters who were there before me ..absolutley. Am I ready to condemn all hunters because of them..of course not.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are yahoos all over the place but no one is trying to stop golf or teaching so WE do have to be vigilent. When someone does something irresponsible we have an obligation to tell them rather than laugh along with the joke.
These forum topics are for hunters however so we should tell it like it is. Pictures and all..
Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Regardless of how far a track job or what kind of shot was made, does(should) the story to a non-hunter always end with a quick clean kill?

Quick Reply: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.