Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I am rather surprized at what many of you have stated in this thread. GMMAT talked about taking "respectible" pictures yet posts a picture of a doe with her guts hanging out. Somehow "whack 'em and stack 'em" is bad but whenever someone gets one and posts it here, many say things such as "way to put one on the ground" or my least favorite "BBD or BDD". I think that there is a lot of hair splitting here.

I see no problem with an uncovered deer during transport. Should someone let the inside of their SUV get blood stained b/c someone might be offended by seeing a dead deer? What about a pickup truck bed?

BawanaJim was 100% right that every deer needs to be respected, but I don't see how not covering one is disrespectful to the animal. Nor do I see how one cliche is acceptable and another is not. Perhaps many of you should focus on real issues such as poaching and not sweat the small stuff so much.
^^ Now that's a thought-out reply! So many contradictions in this post vs daily HNI board life..I figured I'd be strung up if I began pointing them out. Well said, Huntingson.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT talked about taking "respectible" pictures yet posts a picture of a doe with her guts hanging out.
Huntingson.....

If I may explain.....I didn't intend on that photo to be anything other than "informative"......a "testimonial" on the BH, if you will. You won't see me posing in that photo.....won't see my bow, there.....and I would never show that outside a hunting forum.

What I show to the PUBLIC is ENTIRELY different.

I hope this makes sense.....and I honestly hope no one was offended. You will NEVER hear me say anything of the "whack 'em and stack 'em" variety. I've been humbled this year to a huge degree. I agree with most of your post....and I hope I was misunderstood. I respect these animals to a VERY high degree.

Here's the "harvest" photo I had to take for the "archer's choice" contest.......SAME DOE.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am rather surprized at what many of you have stated in this thread. GMMAT talked about taking "respectible" pictures yet posts a picture of a doe with her guts hanging out.
I don't think we need to get into a pissing match with one another when we are all on the same side. GMMAT posted those as graphic and to show a very quick, humane kill of an outstanding broadhead. Call it a public service announcement that might result in less lost animals. That's the way I see it.

Somehow "whack 'em and stack 'em" is bad but whenever someone gets one and posts it here, many say things such as "way to put one on the ground" or my least favorite "BBD or BDD". I think that there is a lot of hair splitting here.
There is a fine line.

I see no problem with an uncovered deer during transport. Should someone let the inside of their SUV get blood stained b/c someone might be offended by seeing a dead deer? What about a pickup truck bed?
I hate covering an animal too, makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong or I have something to hide however, covering them also saves them from road dirt etc..not to mention that it might not offend a NON hunter.

BawanaJim was 100% right that every deer needs to be respected, but I don't see how not covering one is disrespectful to the animal. Nor do I see how one cliche is acceptable and another is not. Perhaps many of you should focus on real issues such as poaching and not sweat the small stuff so much.
I don't think covering or not covering a deer is respectful or not respectful to the animal, I don't think it has anything to do with the animal.

I agree, every deer deserves our respect, not their respect, it's a dead deer, it knows nothing but the respect we give is for us and each other and to further our sport. I also agree that we shouldn't sweat the small stuff but at the same time, not ignore it when we come across it. I also agree there are bigger issues, poaching, theft and more.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I am rather surprized at what many of you have stated in this thread. GMMAT talked about taking "respectible" pictures yet posts a picture of a doe with her guts hanging out.
I don't think we need to get into a pissing match with one another when we are all on the same side. GMMAT posted those as graphic and to show a very quick, humane kill of an outstanding broadhead. Call it a public service announcement that might result in less lost animals. That's the way I see it.

Somehow "whack 'em and stack 'em" is bad but whenever someone gets one and posts it here, many say things such as "way to put one on the ground" or my least favorite "BBD or BDD". I think that there is a lot of hair splitting here.
There is a fine line.

I hate covering an animal too, makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong or I have something to hide however, covering them also saves them from road dirt etc..not to mention that it might not offend a NON hunter.

I don't think covering or not covering a deer is respectful or not respectful to the animal, I don't think it has anything to do with the animal.

I agree, every deer deserves our respect, not their respect, it's a dead deer, it knows nothing but the respect we give is for us and each other and to further our sport. I also agree that we shouldn't sweat the small stuff but at the same time, not ignore it when we come across it. I also agree there are bigger issues, poaching, theft and more.
X2
Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Huge difference in talk amongst hunters, and those who don’t have a clue. I have a nice “clean” photo of a buck sitting on my desk here at work. You’d never catch me putting an entrance/exit hole photo there, despite taking them of many of my deer.

Some things that happen in the woods should be left in the woods or discussed only with those who understand. Details of such events broadcasted to non-hunters can do nothing but harm. I had a buddy I used to work with who went and told this story that he really shouldn’t have to our co workers. I was at a complete loss when people started coming up to me asking questions. I wanted to crawl under my desk. Eventually I got over to him and told him to zip it, but the damage was done.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 AM

On the covering/not covering issue. When a family member dies and is being transported from the funeral home to the grave site, we as humans don't throw their bodies in the back of a truck bed or across the hood of an SUV for all to see, after all their dead they don't know the difference. Why not? Because we are showing respect and it would be distasteful to people that are not involved with the funeral. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying that we all need to go out and buy a hearse and casket to transport all are dead deer, we just need to think how other people may feelabout seeing a dead deer. Sorry if this offends anybody, was not trying to in the least, just trying to get a few people to think about some things in a different perspective.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

My personal pet peeve is the jackass that we've all met. The one who brags about "sticking one" and proceeds to tell the story complete with the graphic detailswithin earshot ofnon hunters in stores restaraunts etc.Usually, it seems the jackass is genuinely proud of himself!?!?!?!

I've never been considered to be politically correct and sometimes take some heat for telling like it is but, IMHO, there's no place for the jerk whodoesn't think before relaying these type of stories.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
You will NEVER hear me say anything of the "whack 'em and stack 'em" variety.

Doesn't seem possible......but the nanny 'nialation will begin after 9 more sleeps.

We are ALL at fault.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob:

I'm a little surprised at you. I CLEARLY stated that the events of THIS season (in post after post) have chnged my view on hunting AND the quarry FOREVER (and that statement you quoted was made PRIOR to said events).

It looks like you're just trying to stir the pot....and I really don't appreciate it.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want people to think that I am/was upset with GMMAT in any fashion, nor was I in a "pissing contest" with him. It was just the first example that I could think of that people would remember clearly because it was so recent. I see nothing wrong with it. My point was that it seemed some of you did, yet said nothing when it occurred. GMMAT is a very responsible hunter, and a good example of how it should be done. My point was more towards the double talk that seemed like was going on here.

I worry only about the animal. I respect them enough to actually thank them when I come up on them, and killing one affects me emotionally. If someone has a problem with the way I do something with them, then there is nothing more I can do for them and I am not going to worry about them. If a "NON-HUNTER" sees a deer in my truck bed and get offended, then they were not just a "NON-HUNTER" they were an anti-hunter from the get go.

Let's leave the judging to the man upstairs shall we?

Quick Reply: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.