Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

It's a good reminder.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

We hunters definitely have an image problem and we can help to improve it. When a hunter presents himselfto the public as an ignorant, profanity speaking, drunkenslob, it gives landowners the impressionthat all hunters are like him. Heck, I'm a hunter and a large number of my friends are too. I've hosted 3 get-togethers for hunters from HNI and made a good number of friends here and yet, I have been given bad impressions of some hunters by other hunters. If we act more like responsible, intelligent and well-meaning adults, it will go a long way to helping us improveour image.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Blah blah blah..as for the Author I say.. Screw'em and stew'em!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree 100% with him. In Wisconsin we used to have the deer visable untill registration then we could shut the tailgate or trunks or what ever. A few years ago they passed a law stating that a deer no longer has to be visible to the public. I think this is a good thing Wi has done. It not only shows respect for thoes who do not hunt, but also makes us look better as hunters as we are not offending anyone. This is an option. You can leave your deer exposed to the public if you want or keep it hidden away from the public.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rob and this article. It is not the anti's we have to worry about. It is the non-hunters. And like the deer, we need to show them respect. You know, a hundred years or so, hunters were revered. Why? Because they usually brought something valuable to the community. It was a service that was essential to survival in most places. These days, the whole aspect of "Sharing" with the communityrarelyexists. We need to change that! Many states allowmultiple deer per year. I'd say, take advantage of this and do your part to provide food for the community. I am sure many folks will appreciate the effort. I be willing to wager more doors will open as a result. Presently, we are viewed as "takers". We all know this is not completely true. Wouldn't it be nice if hunters were viewed exclusively as "givers"...

My grandfather told me a story about hunting once. I'm not sure if it was during the war (WWII) or during the depression. Anyway, the whole community came together and provided my grandfather with shotgun shells and gas ration stamps.He would take what was offered and head out to hunt jack rabbits (YUCK). He would fill his car trunk completly full...The rabbits were skinned and processed. The meat was ground, packed, and redistributed to those that gave...and then some! It was a community'ssurvival techique for some very hard times,AND MY GRANDFATHER WAS A PILLAR FOR DOING WHAT HE DID.

Provide a service and doors will open, but do it with class and the utmost respect!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:54 AM

I agree with the article. Its the "wanna be" hunters that cause all the problems. The "wanna bes" are group together with the true hunters/sportsman to the non-hunting public. So when the "wanna bes" screw up hunters in general are looked down upon.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

We only need to worry about our fellow 'hunters' ruining everything. The article is 100% correct. It figgure that we have some of these 'hunters' replying to the thread.

My question is, what do you all do as responsible hunters when you are confronted with such behavior? Ignore it? Call it out? Turn and walk away?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

Totally agree, I hear fellow"hunters" spouting off stupid statements all the time...............the problem is they really could care less if they offend anyone with thier backward statements.
Very true statement..........I totally agree with this article also.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am rather surprized at what many of you have stated in this thread. GMMAT talked about taking "respectible" pictures yet posts a picture of a doe with her guts hanging out. Somehow "whack 'em and stack 'em" is bad but whenever someone gets one and posts it here, many say things such as "way to put one on the ground" or my least favorite "BBD or BDD". I think that there is a lot of hair splitting here.

I see no problem with an uncovered deer during transport. Should someone let the inside of their SUV get blood stained b/c someone might be offended by seeing a dead deer? What about a pickup truck bed?

BawanaJim was 100% right that every deer needs to be respected, but I don't see how not covering one is disrespectful to the animal. Nor do I see how one cliche is acceptable and another is not. Perhaps many of you should focus on real issues such as poaching and not sweat the small stuff so much.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you agree with the article, do you also like some one like Ted Nugent being the face of hunting?

Quick Reply: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.