Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Default RE: Shoot ourself in our own feet. No offense rob.

The Tree huggin hippies can kiss my ass if they don't like the big buck on my trailer bhind the wheeler then don't look at it.
You will be kissing their ...if they become the majority. And if they become the majority (if they aren't already), attitudes like this will not help our cause.

And personally I don't give a damned what anyone thinks of me or my huntin,drinkin, coon huntin redneck buddies
And someday, they won't give a ... about what you think, if they don't already. Congratulations, that attitude could help marginalize the opinions of hunters.

The bottom-line is that hunters can be our own worst enemies. It is acceptable to be politically correct to preserve our hunting traditions.

I'm a graduate student in law school and am probably one of the few hunters in the room. I would speculate that I am the only bowhunter in the room. Hunting has come up several times in our classroom discussions of liability, etc. And I stand there and defend hunting in front of 75 other really, bright, ambitious nonhunters. And I can't stand there and say "Kiss my anything." I can't say "I don't give a crap about your opinions." That is simply not the way to approach the problem. Instead, with a little mutual respect, we can have mature conversations about hunting. And you would be surprised as to the number of individuals that are open to hunting. In fact, because of what I have said in class, a couple of students have offered to let me hunt their land. Those privileges and opportunities were the result of not being disrespectful and being politically correct.

There is a time and place for everything. Yes, saying 'harvest' instead of 'kill' sort of desensitizes the whole process. But most people sort of get the idea. Something is killed. Something dies. Whack 'em and stack 'em is sort of desensitizing in the other direction.

Sorry for the rant, but it is our responsiblility to beaware of how are actions are perceived. That doesn't mean we have to change them, but we can't exactlysay"To heck with them" either.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Farmcntry.. Their is a group of hunters who fallbetween the categories of Hunter and slob hunter. These guys don't put in a lot of time and usually hunt during rifle. They are well meaning ethical sportsman who are just not quite "into" it as many of us are.
We have to cater to the weekend warriors a bit as they are strong allies. There are lots of regular Joe's out there and we need them.
The fact is that the article reflects what so many non hunters see. The pics in general are not pretty but either is a slaughter house. I hate the idea of having to hide my success under a tarp in the back of the truck. I have done nothing wrong but still hide from the anti's.
I have taken all the hunting related bumper stickers and decals off my truck and replaced them with real earthy crunchy Nature Conservancy and Audubon stickers. I am misleading them to my benefit but know one even thinks about you if your bird watching.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Mizzouhunter

The Tree huggin hippies can kiss my ass if they don't like the big buck on my trailer bhind the wheeler then don't look at it.
You will be kissing their ...if they become the majority. And if they become the majority (if they aren't already), attitudes like this will not help our cause.

And personally I don't give a damned what anyone thinks of me or my huntin,drinkin, coon huntin redneck buddies
And someday, they won't give a ... about what you think, if they don't already. Congratulations, that attitude could help marginalize the opinions of hunters.

The bottom-line is that hunters can be our own worst enemies. It is acceptable to be politically correct to preserve our hunting traditions.

I'm a graduate student in law school and am probably one of the few hunters in the room. I would speculate that I am the only bowhunter in the room. Hunting has come up several times in our classroom discussions of liability, etc. And I stand there and defend hunting in front of 75 other really, bright, ambitious nonhunters. And I can't stand there and say "Kiss my anything." I can't say "I don't give a crap about your opinions." That is simply not the way to approach the problem. Instead, with a little mutual respect, we can have mature conversations about hunting. And you would be surprised as to the number of individuals that are open to hunting. In fact, because of what I have said in class, a couple of students have offered to let me hunt their land. Those privileges and opportunities were the result of not being disrespectful and being politically correct.

There is a time and place for everything. Yes, saying 'harvest' instead of 'kill' sort of desensitizes the whole process. But most people sort of get the idea. Something is killed. Something dies. Whack 'em and stack 'em is sort of desensitizing in the other direction.

Sorry for the rant, but it is our responsiblility to beaware of how are actions are perceived. That doesn't mean we have to change them, but we can't exactlysay"To heck with them" either.
No apoligizes on here. As I am not apoligizing this is the way I am. I do not suck up to people and do not kiss peoples arses because they do not like what I am doing I am just not going to talk to them. Luckily I leave in a small town and do not have to worry about it because 90% of the people here hunt or have hunted all there lives. And like I said this people that are already antis do not care what you have to say because they are single minded people and do not want to see that hunting is necessary to keep their pretty little animals healthy and disease free.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Host of Hosts

am misleading them to my benefit but know one even thinks about you if your bird watching.
You have to fight fire with fire so to speak. The Anti's or other side whatever anyone wants to call them are misleading people about hunters everyday. Ilike your approach.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I cannot believe the ignorance that some people show. This guy who yelled from the back of the store probably didn't graduate kindergarten yet the lady that left the store has probably labeled all hunters as ignorant. Well we all know that couldn't be farther from the truth. This dude is probably one of those guys that has one tag and shoots three deer just because they stepped out in front of him.

I have a good saying that would explain this guy for you "Ignorance at it's Finest"
Old 10-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

"A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link"