Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Slice of Humble Pie

Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Big Slice of Humble Pie

A few weeks ago, my fiance and I were talking about hunting. She doesn't hunt but she likes to pretend she cares about my hunting success. I'm not really quite sure of the story any more, but I recall making the statement "I can kill a doe without a problem. Does are easy to kill". I wasn't trying to sound cocky, but I've killed more doe with my bow then i can count. Well, today that all changed.
I was hunting over some acorns and they were dropping like mad here in P.A. A little after first light, I happened to glance over my right shoulder and saw some movement at about 20 yards behind me. After looking closer it was the head of a small doe. I'm not really one to shoot a yearling doe, but having a prego woman running around talking about deer jerky all the time, ya do what you gotta do. So I lift my bow off the hanger and start to prepare for the shot. She was closing the distance and it looked like I was gonna get a 10 yard broadside shot on the other side of the tree. I started to draw my bow and could almost see taste the jerky and then I happened to glance down. Already within 10 yards her momma was standing there looking at me. A good snort from my movement and about 5 white flags disappeared through the under brush. For the life of me I never heard these deer even come in and have no clue how they got that close without me noticing. One things for sure though i'm definitely getting a good schooling this year with the whitetail. You always here that every deer with a bow is a trophy and I truely believe that, but today it all came back to me again. It's kinda funny too though, because I never thought in a million years my fiance would remember that conversation. But sure enough when I told her the story, the first thing I heard was "I thought it was nothing to kill a doe and you could do it basically when you wanted?". It's kinda of funny how they can never remember when hunting season is when planning events, but they're quick to remember everything that makes you look like a fool.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Big Slice of Humble Pie

Great post, just have a cold one with that humble pie and you'll be a better man tomorrow.

And congratulations on the bun in the oven.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Come on in.....the water's fine.[&:]
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Great post, just have a cold one with that humble pie and you'll be a better man tomorrow.

And congratulations on the bun in the oven.
Thanks Rob
Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

You have a pretty good situation going on over there! A pregnant woman cravingdeer jerky, she is going to make you hunt everyday until she gets what she needs. Sure wish my wife craved deer jerky...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 PM

why is it a woman remebers stuff when ya dont want them to? lol

get more jerkey and she'll forget more rt? lol

i do agree any deer w/ a bow is a tropghy.........it's all about getting close........i bust my friends chops all the time when he brags about a deer at 200 yards w/ his 7mm magnum..........i'm like dude the deer never got a chance to smell you or see you........but it's al good.....................atleast we are all out in the woods..............i take my 10 y/o daughter whenever i can .....she loves it
better luck next outing snake.

otto