Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broad head size

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Spike

Default broad head size

Im new to bow hunting and will be shooting nap spitfires on my easton epic 340s. when i screwed them on the other day i noticed they are a little bigger aroundat the base than my arrow. I was wondering if this is alright or if they should look about like my field points at the base also i havent gotten time to shoot them yet and was wondering if it will make a difference in flight?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Default RE: broad head size

That shouldn't be a problem. Now fieldpoints on the other hand, they are sometimes a pain to get out of bag targets and such because of the bigger tip. Of course, you shouldn't be shooting expandables through a bag target. I wouldn't anyway.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Most all broadheads will require some bow tuning and massaging to fly like field points, even those that claim to fly like field points right out of the box generally need a slight adjustment or two from the bow to get the best flight out of them. I was told not to worry about the base of the broadhead being slightly larger. I would guess if it were opposite, arrow shaft being larger, this may be a problem due to aerodynamics and all that.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess i'm not quite up to date with the technology bow hunting has gotten into but in my opinion i wouldn't be shooting them expandable broadheads! Anything mechanical leaves room for error. Just a thought for you to think about. Good luck and i hope someone can help you with this situation. It's good to see another bow hunter out here giving it a try! Good luck!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM

It will have no effect on flight at all. The only time it's really a problem is w/ field point removal from targets, especially bag targets. The ridge likes to get hung up ......
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice...Sorry about such a stupid ? but just wanted to get some some advise from some of you more experienced guys.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I guess i'm not quite up to date with the technology bow hunting has gotten into but in my opinion i wouldn't be shooting them expandable broadheads! Anything mechanical leaves room for error. Just a thought for you to think about. Good luck and i hope someone can help you with this situation. It's good to see another bow hunter out here giving it a try! Good luck!
Many of the new expandables are just as reliable and effective as many of the fixed blade broadheads out there right now. I'm still a fixed kinda guy, but am interested in at least trying a mechanical, if nothing else for some experience on these kinds of questions and fun.

And there is no such thing as a stupid question Rookie, only stupid people who ask questions, and those who are stupid enough to argue with the idiot after said question.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: wv bow hunter

Thanks for the advice...Sorry about such a stupid ? but just wanted to get some some advise from some of you more experienced guys.
No such thing. The only stupid one is the one not asked......
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother has the epic arrows to and it's the same way but I would'nt worry about it to much if it flys good then it will work.

I shootnap nitron broadheads and they fly as good as a field point. I have not herd anything bad about spitfires have you shot them yet.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

There isn't a such thing as a stupid question wv! Like the other folks said, a stupid question is one that isn't asked. Barbaust, i hope that comment you made wasn't a rip on me!!If it wasn't i apologize!I'm just here to help and give my best to the new bow hunters out there.

Quick Reply: broad head size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.