Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

i think since you dontated yoru deer you should get another tag for each it is a real honerable thing to do

i bought a doe from a butcher a few years ago in ky and found out it was a dontation from a hunter for there version of hunters for the hungry andi was sick lets just say that did not last long. Congrats on your good will again.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hats off to you Jeff I sometimes donate to a retired co worker of mine and his wife they absolutly love deer meat
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I can shoot unlimited does in NC, this year. They'll get first pickings....and I'll get us some venison if I'm lucky enough to take a few.

Look around, guys.......I'm sure there's families in your area, too. I am the one who feels blessed to have found them.

Good luck to all.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Site Bouncer

That's a good thing you did Jeff.

I always donate my first deerto our "hunters for the homeless" program or other methods. Sometimes more than one, but at least one deer a year. Even in the years that I only killed one deer, I donate it. I don'tNEED to hunt, Ican always go to the store and buy my food, there are those who are less fortunate.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I've donated and given away just about every deer I've shot for the past 10 years except for one or one and a half.It's a good thing. Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry type organizations got it all rolling. It's really a great deal.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

rybo...

While I tend to agree with you on most accounts (respect!)......I have to disgree, here. While "I" can't fathom having that many kids.....this man and woman may have more love than I can imagine.....and want to share it. He works 2 jobs besides his preaching.....and I know I'm not the only one helping out. TWELVE kids.....and my friend says it's the cleanest house you've ever seen. They all work at it.....down to the little ones. His oldest is 20....and is in college. Wow.

I think, in general, you are 100% correct. There's always the exception. I think I found it/them. In almost every case, though....I'd AGAIN agree with you.

Good Job GMMAT. Reading your post here reminded me of my childhood days. Mom and Dad raised 15 of us, 8 girls and 7 boys. I know it must have appeared to the neighbors that we were poor as dirt and in a materialistic sense we were but looking back I now realize just how rich we were. Dad worked a good job and we raised a huge garden and canned our or food for the winter. We raised and butchered our hogs, milked our own cows and gathered eggs from the chicken house. Mom made a lot of our clothes from feed sacks. What a great life it was. They taught us to help others as well. I've seen Mom take in less fortunate neighbor kids and dress them on cold days with our clothes. As a kid, I struggled to understand that because I knew we didn't have much only to see Mom give it away. Looking back I realize now what she gave away to the less fortunate was repayed 10 fold in friends and respect in the community. Dang, I've done went and typed a novel but I wouldn't trade the way I was raised and all my brothers and sisters for all the money in the world.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Great for you GMMAT, well stated
Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was more than happy to give the deer i shot last year away. i actually didnt keep any for myself.lol ill have to remember to do that this year.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: WVCritterGitter

Good Job GMMAT. Reading your post here reminded me of my childhood days. Mom and Dad raised 15 of us, 8 girls and 7 boys. I know it must have appeared to the neighbors that we were poor as dirt and in a materialistic sense we were but looking back I now realize just how rich we were. Dad worked a good job and we raised a huge garden and canned our or food for the winter. We raised and butchered our hogs, milked our own cows and gathered eggs from the chicken house. Mom made a lot of our clothes from feed sacks. What a great life it was. They taught us to help others as well. I've seen Mom take in less fortunate neighbor kids and dress them on cold days with our clothes. As a kid, I struggled to understand that because I knew we didn't have much only to see Mom give it away. Looking back I realize now what she gave away to the less fortunate was repayed 10 fold in friends and respect in the community. Dang, I've done went and typed a novel but I wouldn't trade the way I was raised and all my brothers and sisters for all the money in the world.
I loved reading that. Thank you for responding.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WVCritterGitter

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

rybo...

While I tend to agree with you on most accounts (respect!)......I have to disgree, here. While "I" can't fathom having that many kids.....this man and woman may have more love than I can imagine.....and want to share it. He works 2 jobs besides his preaching.....and I know I'm not the only one helping out. TWELVE kids.....and my friend says it's the cleanest house you've ever seen. They all work at it.....down to the little ones. His oldest is 20....and is in college. Wow.

I think, in general, you are 100% correct. There's always the exception. I think I found it/them. In almost every case, though....I'd AGAIN agree with you.

Jeff and WV, I applaud you guys! In many cases ... less is more! I know MANY families that are like that .... they work harder than most and have more in life ...... more that matters ..... the Lord used you to provide venison to them, Jeff ....... it's amazing how when we give, we receive much more in return.......

Quick Reply: NOT tootin' my own horn....just a heads-up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.