Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can QDM work on public lands??

Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can QDM work on public lands??

I understand the theory of QDM on private or leased land but is it realistic for the public land hunter? It might for archery because we do seem to be a different breed than most gun hunters but is it practical.
I know there are many variables. One man's food plot is clover and mine is fescue and rye with a little zossiamixed and they get mowed most every weekend and I know what time it is when I hear the schoolbus. LOL

Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can QDM work on public lands??

Absolutely ..... they just have to change the antler restriction and doe take ......
Old 10-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

In all honesty, I am not sure if QDM practice on public land is a good thing or not...........it is public land for any tax payer to do as they see fit on. I can't believe I am saying this, but honestly if someone pays the taxes that support that public land and if they want to shoot a spiker if it's legal, then let them shoot away. I don't think true QDM can be rolled out on public property without losing a massive amount of license buying hunters and honestly we need as many as we can..........it's a dying sport.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I believe it can work (although not very easily). QDM is not some mysterious complex equation that many would want you to believe. Simplified, it’s a balance between population & habitat, and an attempt at creating a well structured age class in the herd. A “QDM Program” is not much more than a season and bag limit structure, although it would be more strict. Just because land is “public” doesn’t mean the state should allow a person to shoot whatever they saw fit. If it makes sound biological sense to have greater restrictions (mostly regarding bucks age) then by all means it should be implemented.

Few if anyone would argue about minimum size & creel limits on fish. Few people would care to keep a 7” bass and don’t complain when the law says they can’t. However, the world explodes when the state tries to say you can’t shoot a spike (basically the equivalent of a 7” bass)
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Years ago I had a lease in Georgia.

The next county over changed to 8pt or better (public or private land).

Lease prices in that county dropped by 1/2.

Sevenyears later that county's lease prices are some of the highest in the state.

Despite all the barking and hollering - it worked -

Bigger bucks for everyone.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can it work YES...... but only if the DNR regulates it and even then you are going to have some problems.
I'm all for QDM on public land, but I still remeber that trophy spiker I took yrs ago. I think a person should be able to take any buck for their first but after that its 8pts or better. I also like the earn a buck theory.
I hunt public land and see crap all the time. One guy that sits on a rd just down from my camp shoots 2 bucks on his property and tags with his wife's tags..... then he goes to public land and shoots 2 more. He's not an archer but hunts both muzzleloader and rifle. He's got some nice bucks...... from the window of his truck. Last yr he tagged one good ten and then 15min later shoots a nice 8pt and calls his brother to come tag it.
I think in my province it would take a lot more work than the provincial CO's are able to do given manpower restrictions. We don't have check stations and I think that would be the best way to regulate deer taken.
What about cull bucks on public land........ anybody have opinions on that????????
Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

If mandated yes..If you are going to try it on your own or even with a group. No Chance.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I defenitely agree with GR8. You can have QDM on any land but if everyone that enters that land is not aware or willing to work with the program then there is no chance for the rest of the hunters.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

No it will never work. No quality deer have ever been taken on public land.