Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are the deer doing now?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are the deer doing now?

I was just wondering what kind of activity the deer will be doing in the upcoming weeks. I was trying to figure out what calls and scents to use to maybe increase my chances of bringing a buck into view.
Is it too early to try and mock scrape?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are the deer doing now?

Around my families farms they are doing nothing but feeding. Scents and calls are less than worthless this time of year. Not only will they not work, but they could easily alert the deer to the sound of the call for the future. Kind of like overcalling to elk. They figure it out and then calling makes them run the other way.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

The only call I'm getting ready to utilize is the sweet sound of acorns hitting the woods floor. they seem to repond well to it!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

No calls here yet I wait till the rut then I rattle always works well for me!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KYDeerHunter03

I was just wondering what kind of activity the deer will be doing in the upcoming weeks. I was trying to figure out what calls and scents to use to maybe increase my chances of bringing a buck into view.
Is it too early to try and mock scrape?
Its still pretty hot and if not disturbed they dont travel far this time of year, stick to trying to bushwhack them going to or coming from feeding areas for right now. As the crops are getting combined around your area, watch for them to change from summer to fall feeding paterns as the acorns begin to hit the ground.
Worry more about staying scent free and stay away from scents/lures or doing any calling for the next few weeks, things in your area will pick up around the third or last week in Oct.
Personally about the only time I put out a mock scrape is when I cant get a good stand placement over a real one for one reason or another, keep your eyes on last years scrapes,if you know where they are, and on the lookout for new ones, hunt the real deal if you can.
Good luck!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've called bucks in from the first day until the last day. Calls will work at all times during the season depending. Using soft grunts and contact calls. Deer are very vocal animals.

Scents, if you have to use them, use a buck scent right now. Bucks are starting to get ornery, Saturday we watched a 4 pt dog does, they wanted nothing to do with him, obviously. Bucks are starting to get territorial, they are starting to temp and test each other. Right now any doe scents might spook the bucks. Scents are a finicky business.

For the most part, bucks are looking to fatten up and are feeding, they will check any doe in eye sight but are not seeking them out yet. Hunt your food sources, acorns, AG fields or food plots. Hunt funnels, watering sources if your in a dry area and wait. The buck business will pick up shortly.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

I also have had success with calling deer this early. Some deer will respond. When calling to a deer always watch their behavior. Every deer is different - depends on what their attitude is, what's on their mind, etc. I think of them as people in this regard.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: 7VALLEYS

I also have had success with calling deer this early. Some deer will respond. When calling to a deer always watch their behavior. Every deer is different - depends on what their attitude is, what's on their mind, etc. I think of them as people in this regard.
Good analogy. If you say "HEY" to people a couple times, some will just look at you and walk away, some will come over and say "what"....same with deer.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone. I grunted in a doe a couple weeks ago using a softgruntjust to see if it worked and it did. She didnt come close enough for a comfortable shot for me. I havent seen any good bucks walking around yet just a bunch of yearlings. Hopefully things will get better. Thanks again!