Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"New Boot" smell...

Old 09-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default "New Boot" smell...

I've had a nice pair of rubber camo hutning boots for a year now and they still have that "new rubber" smell like they just came out of the box. What do you guys do to kill the smell? I've scrubbed them with scen free soap but I am still worried that any deer downwind will be able to scent them.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "New Boot" smell...

Old 09-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are deer scared of rubber smell? Are you boots still effectivley not letting your humanscent hit the ground? And last but not least does a chicken have lips?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

While I do not believe deer are "afraid" of rubber I do believe older, wiser bucks are cautious of any smell that is not typical of there surroundings. The new boot smell is very strong and does not smeel like the farm rubber of tires and things like that.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a pair of Field & Stream 1000gram boots for this season. They stink too![:@] I keep them outside but this doesn't seem to be helping much. I spray them with Scent Killer when I go in, I guess this helps.[&:]
Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm buying a new pair of mucks, tomorrow.....and if deer are afrais of the rubber smell.....I'm screwed. I'm hunting in them, Tuesday....if not tomorrow night.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a pair of Cabela's 400 gram rubber boots and they have that same smell.I hunted the Ohio opener in them and just sprayed Jackie's Fresh Earth cover scent on them. I had several deer cross my tracks in the white oak stand i was in and they never even flinched. I wouldn't worry about it. JMO
Old 09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

The boots I'm speaking of are Cabela's 400 gram rubber boots too. I'm not a big fan of cover scents. I try to go totally scent-free. Two ideas I had wereto covermud all over them and store them in a plasitc bin fuilled with acorns and Oak leaves. Problem is that I live in Dallas and hunt in Wisconsin. Maybe it sounds stupid but the mud smells different here and we have different oak species so I don't want to cover up with another foreign smell. I think I'll jsut keep scrubbing them everyfew days and spraying them down with scent killer.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Set 'em out in a sunny spot for a day or two to off gas. The solvents in the glue are what usually stink the most.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I set my boots outside the day i bought them and they have never been inside, i give them a quick spray down before i enter the woods, now they dont have that strong rubber smell.

Quick Reply: "New Boot" smell...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.