Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Use your cell phone to your advantage

Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Use your cell phone to your advantage

it works great for talking to others in standstoo. Just put it on vibrate and if you need to contact another hunter you just give him a call. I did two weeks ago with Ausie on a hog hunt.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol...GPS is on order for next summer. next summer will most likley be a gadget buying summer. i goto college so my work is limited to summer...so thats when i do my buying..last year it was a bow..this year was a groundhog gun...next year i plan a new rest for SURE...probably sights as well...GPS and range finder...

i dont USE my cellphone while in the woods...other than to check the time..i do leave it on vibrate...if mom or dad calls and KNOW im hunting...its an emergancy of some sort..never know. i dont wanna be in a treestand in lulla land when somethin happens and i SHOULD and COULD be there..

did use it yesterday morning. buddy was hunting 300-400yds away on the next farm over. we were gunna take our radios but opted not to since we would both have cell service. 9am he sent me a message saying he hit one. got it a little after 930. told him gimme an hour and id be down to start tracking and to hold up till then. he got down to look at the arrow and go change into lighter clothes to track when he said nevermind i got him dead! i was pumped. i snuck down and headed over to help him...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:49 PM

I hear ya about the gadget buying phase...I've been going through that a lot lately.

I usually keep mine on silent and check it every now and then. Couple years back I had a nice buck about 7 yards away. I was drawn on him waiting for him to step out and then I hear "vuh vuh vuh" all of a sudden. Evidentally flipped the phone shut too soon after hitting the power button and it didn't turn off. He got out of there. Anyway, I just put it on silent anymore.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take mine, it's on vibrate. I've had it go off when deer were directly under me and they paid it no mind. Turkeys are a different subject. I had a flock underme once and the cell went off on vibrate and they exploded outta there. I couldn't believe their reaction. I leave it on so I can be reached if need be, but I hardly ever pull it out to make a call.
It's great to have when I'm out alone and happen to hit one. I can call down the house (or camp if were there), and have my Dad and a brother or two be at my stand in a matter of minutes, ready to trail or drag. It's great at camp in that regard that I can have someone bring the deer cart down to meet me, not to mention the emergency thing. I see no problem carrying it. I'm not gonna talk anything but "hunting" if I do use it.
The memo idea sounds good too.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
I hunt to get away from it.....and if it goes with me....it's OFF.
X2
Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good but gotta be careful because some states don't let you use electronic devices while hunting not necessarily while setting stands.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always carry my cell phone with me for emergency reasons, but never thought of using it as a tool for the hunt. Im going to start doing that. GREAT IDEA!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

So what do you do? Say, "Self, you got to remember to cut this limb, and that limb and maybe that limb". The day I have to make recordings of limbs to trim I'm trimming too much. LOL I carry a cell phone for one reason... emergency backup.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I text my brother and friends. We all text each other when we shoot one or what we have seen. We all hunt within5 miles of each other so we have a team of bloodtrailers if needed.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I just take a friend out. Depending on whose stand it is, one person gets in the standand gives directions while the other one trims/clears. Don't overclear doing it that way either. Works great.

Quick Reply: Use your cell phone to your advantage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.