Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rev's "doe" got me thinking.....

Old 09-30-2007, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Rev's "doe" got me thinking.....

Is there ANY chance that many of you would ever shoot an antlered doe?

Let me explain....

I don't think I ever will. 1st....I'm looking for a certain size rack....one I'm "guessing" a doe won't have. 2nd......I don't honestly know how to discern the difference (antlered doe vs. antlered buck).

Has an antlered doe passed under you without you ever reaching for the bow??????

How would one know???????
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM

Default RE: Rev's "doe" got me thinking.....

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer...04/fndoes.html

Read that, sir. The "buck" this fella shot sounds like something you wouldn't pass up on.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

she would be a cute buck i think...

Ryan.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

So....Are you saying there's no such thing as an antlered doe?

Just trying to learn something.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I absolutely would shoot an antlered doe, in fact if I had one in my area I would hunt her exclusively.

I do know of one that is illegal for everyone but our youth to hunt. She is a 4 point, Y antlered doe. My friend has her in his hunting area. He's watched her with fawns, he's watched her fawns nurse on her. She is in a 3 point on one side restriction area so she's off limits to regular license holders. She is not considered a "doe" in PA. She is an "antlered" deer... just like a button buck is an "antlerless" deer.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess the fawns nursing would nean one of TWO things .....lol.

I don't know. That's why I asked. I don't think I'll ever know the difference......or give one (if I were to be fortunate to have one in my area) a chance. I wouldn't know the difference between an antlered doe and a juvenile buck.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff I think you would if given enough light and time to look her over. The necks alone are a dead give away. I find it easy to tell a doe from a buck that's lost it's antlers just by the way they walk, chest and neck....remember, a bucks chest is wider than it's hind quarters and just the opposite a does chest is narrower than her hind quarter....
Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I know a buck, here, dwarfs even a mature doe (even a yearling buck), BUT.....I've seen some REALLY small bucks, here. I had one last year I was gonna take out.....JUST because of his meek size. I thought he must be sick. It's a regret I have, now.....because I had him dead to rights and passed the opportunity. I'll always wonder if I did the right thing.

I just don't know. My herd is small, in general (body size). I "might" be able to discern.....but I don't know. I don't think I could positively identify it well enough to decide.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

watching a drury outdoors video and they shoot a 140 inch antlered doe. I think i would take her
Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

This is kinda off the question but, have any of you seen a mount where they used a doe cape in place of the original buck cape. Ive seen quite a few and If I were to shoot a buck early in the season, before the neck was swelled, I think I would opt for a doe cape. They look amazing. The only reason Ive seen people use the doe cape in place of a bucks was when the hunter either cut to the chin, slit the throat, or the deer was shot excessively in the neck or head area. Ive never had anyone ask us to use a doe cape for no reason though.

Quick Reply: Rev's "doe" got me thinking.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.