Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening Morning with the Crazy Gimp and Kurt.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Opening Morning with the Crazy Gimp and Kurt.

Alarm clock goes off 5:00am, my gorgeous wife wakes me up. I've been sleeping on the couch since my injury so I can put my foot up, watch tv til later and play on the puter without disturbing her sleep.

I gimp downstairs, wake up Kurt and then I jump in the shower for another countless morning ritual of descenting. I come out of the bath, Kurt heads in, I go to the basement to dress.

Kurt drops me within 10 yards of my stand, hands me my crutches, I throw my pack and bow on my back, a fist good luck and he's in the truck and headed to the food plot stand.

I take my time and climb up the ladder sticks careful NOT to put too much weight on my cast. I use my arms, good leg, knee and butt to go up and into the stand. I get there, pull the bow up and settle in. The moon is bright, the air brisk and the smells oh so sweet. I'm glad to be alive and in a tree this fine PA opening morning, cast and all. Kurt buzzes in my ear over the radio, this is a much better view than the one from your couch. I chime back, amen brother as a Barred Owl calls in the background.

First light takes it's time and as it gathers across the dewy grass field and food plot, a familiar view fills my eyes and warms my heart.

Over my right shoulder:

I got to thinking how lucky I am. How I made the post thinking my season was cut short. How the healing process is coming around and of course, all of you clowns. How nuts and crazy ya'll think I am but how could I stay out of a tree this beautiful archery morning. I took the photo some of you wanted to see: I was going to take a picture of my crutches at the base of the tree but then I didn't and yes, I sprayed them down with Scent Killer.

Do you think the blue is a nice sky color camo? [8D] Hey, it's the warmest I had.

The sun started filtering heavy over the tree line in the east. The sun was warming my face and I looked to the right wondering when the first deer was going to appear and appear she did. Two big nannys made their way straight toward me down the field access road. I applied for a doe tag mainly to hunt with Rick James and perhaps take a doe off his property as requested but the reality is, to just hunt with a good guy and fellow HNI'er but the doe tag hasn't arrived yet. The doe stepped in offering me 31 yard shot. Of course I took her with the camera.

She turned and came closer and I spoke to her, sweatheart, today is your lucky day.

They made their way toward Kurt then in the foodplot to my east. The sun came up and I was able to sit down and put my foot up to rest it a bit.

Time passed slowly when those two moolies came back out and closer this time until they bedded in a thicket 50 yards to my right. They may or may not have come from there to begin with. They caught me by surprise when the first showed up this morning. Her she is a mere 20 yards on the field road. I again told her, babe, that's two of your lives. Talk about a McKenzie want to be:

I'm betting you can pick a spot on her: [8D]

Here's a little video as she came up on the road. It's very poor quality cause it's taken with my still camera and I zoomed in a little too much for video.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/Poorguy/Sept19thon/?action=view&current=MOV00572.flv

Can't wait to get back in that tree this afternoon and look for some antler.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opening Morning with the Crazy Gimp and Kurt.

Sounds like you atleast had some action and a little fun!

Good luck to you Rob!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds perfect. Nice photos as always. If I can sneak a couple days off work I"ll be up to video for ya...
Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob you remind me of when i broke my leg. My freshman year in football i got in a nasty crunch and broke my femur...didnt keep me out of the stand though! I gimped my way up in the stand some how!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

ROB...
You are my new hero!!!----Great Pics --But the one I want to see is one legged hula dance when you kill the one with bone on its head!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know being in that tree may be some of the best healing remidy yet, it dont get any better than that video looks good to me, talk about saying shoot me all over it.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pics Rob.I am glad you found a way to get in a stand.

JUST BE CAREFUL UP THERE.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pinch yourself Rob! You sure you haven't died and gone to Heaven? You're living a dream! That is so cool! I wish you 400 times that much excitement through the healing process! Good on you!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Thats a great opening morning, sure an inspiration for many!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

man what a great story to read after a long brisk chilly morning of seeing absolutly nothing lol man your a pretty cool guy i saw nothing at the spot i was hunting so i went a cpl miles down the road around 9 just to see if anything was in the fields at another spot 3 nice bucks but a cpl other guys were already hunting it so i dident wanna bother them good luck this afternoon

Quick Reply: Opening Morning with the Crazy Gimp and Kurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.