Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Every Shot - IV

Old 09-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Every Shot - IV

Don't have time right now.....but it was a miss. I'll post later.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Every Shot - IV

Cmon GMMAT, lets not go braggin about the one's we've missed! I'd probably be the champion if we start down that road! I wish you could see the 13 pointer I missed last year because of a stupid twig.
AIGH (All In Good Humor).
Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody misses. No biggy unless it was ol' Freak Nasty....
Its gonna be good dont worry bout it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

MISSED???????? C'Mon gmmat!!!! git-r-done! No worries, I missed a big old Tom today!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Dominant Buck

AF it's not like that. I promised whn the season started to report each time I loosed an arrow.

Story is....I had a doe prance into my set like she owned the place about 6:30....and she walked straight towards my tree. I managed to get to my bow....and had it in my hand when she got to the limb beneath my tree. She was about 5 yds out and under the branch.....so I drew. She spooked at something (could have been me....I don't know....could have been anything)....and took a couple of hops to my left. I let down.....and she stayed there for a minute....then bolted....again spooked at "something".

45 minutes later.....Looks like "her" again.....and she comes in on the same path. Same things, again....and I don't have a shot at that angle. She mills out to about 22yds.....and she is watching the end of the field. I look down and see another doe.....smaller....and look back at the one in front of me. I put my 20yd pin on her.....and release. She ducks....I miss. She may have been 24 yds....and I think I did 2 things wrong. 1 - I think she was probably too edgy for ME to take that shot & 2 - I think I held my 20yd pin too high, AGAIN.

I'll learn, one day.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get that 20 yard pin down, bend at the waist...you know the procedure. Seriously Jeff, you bow is FAST, and flat. I'm betting your holding too high looking for that drop....I always say it's better to miss low rather than high, plus add the deer jump to the equation.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Get that 20 yard pin down, bend at the waist...you know the procedure. Seriously Jeff, you bow is FAST, and flat. I'm betting your holding too high looking for that drop....I always say it's better to miss low rather than high, plus add the deer jump to the equation.
Common easy things, that probably lead to 95% of bowhunters misses...[:@]
Old 09-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gmmat

I personally never hold a pin high in a hunting situation.Too much room for judgement errors.

If I am at odd yardages,I will hold my top pin(20) on top of the kill and my second pin(30) on the bottom of the kill.Basically just gap the 10 ring of a 3-d target.

If the animal is between 5 and 33 yards,it is dead provided I make a good shot.Plus,it gives you the comfort of being able to see your target spot rather than trying to cover it with a pin.Much more relaxing imo.

This is called gapping.

If I know the yardage,I will hold accordingly but sounds to me like you might want to practice this to see how YOU like it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Site Buck Guru

Where are you at now...... 1 deer for 4 arrows shot or is it 2?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I've killed 3 deer, Greg. Didn't know you were interested.

Quick Reply: Every Shot - IV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.