Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Every Shot - IV

Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Every Shot - IV

3/4 isn't bad.

When someone who is a fairly decent shot seems to miss deer frequently, it kind of piques my interest. Makes me think that some work is needed for the head, a mental thing. Not a slam. The head is the most important part when it comes to this game.

Congrats on your deer.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Dominant Buck

It's 100% mental Greg....and I need to reign it in. I'm aware, believe me.

I took some shots last year that were misses. I clipped a deer last year, too. I also hit and recovered a few.......the last few I released arrows at.

I made a commitment to not ATTEMPT a shot that I wouldn't be proud of, this year. I'll have to evaluate this (next to) last one, more before i pass judgement on myself. I'm not SURE it was a great idea....knowing she was edgy.

I'm better than this. I need to get 100% confidence.I don't have that, yet.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Amature... You'll get in due time
Old 09-29-2007, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about other folks but the process you are experiencing is a common one at least it has been for me.As a result of typically negative experiences you get angry enough at yourself to make sure you you stop doing certain things.
In the heat of the moment it is necessary to fight the urge to compromise or to make justification for the shot you know you shouldn't take.Most all of us have done it,I know I have.It is a hunting maturity of sorts and fortunately for you and for me and for most all of us we are bothered by these things!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

When someone who is a fairly decent shot seems to miss deer frequently, it kind of piques my interest. Makes me think that some work is needed for the head, a mental thing. Not a slam. The head is the most important part when it comes to this game.
I agree. Another golf/bowhunting analogy [:-][8D]. I'm sure you're aware of how important the mental aspect of golf is to achieve at a high level. Same applies to bowhunting. Very similar IMO. Kind of like fighting through thes-s-s-shanks [:'(].

This is why I've always said it doesn't matter how much someone reads, watches videos, practices shooting 3d etc..... There's only one way to gain knowledge and that's to go through the ups and downs and get dirty. You'll work it out and be better for it in the long run.

p.s. by the way..... aim lower [8D]
Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tsoc

I don't know about other folks but the process you are experiencing is a common one at least it has been for me.As a result of typically negative experiences you get angry enough at yourself to make sure you you stop doing certain things.
In the heat of the moment it is necessary to fight the urge to compromise or to make justification for the shot you know you shouldn't take.Most all of us have done it,I know I have.It is a hunting maturity of sorts and fortunately for you and for me and for most all of us we are bothered by these things!
The hardest thing I had to learn is "You have time to make the right decision".
Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Very good stuff, guys. I replied to gregh's post with a golf analogy myself, NYbow.....I'm getting ahead of myself. It took me a while to get "aim for the exit hole" ingrained in my head. "Pick a spot" (and not a high one) HAS to be drilled in there, too.

I went back over there, just now, and looked again to make sure I didn't lip her. Nothing. Made a walk-thru the area....and I'm confident it was just a miss.

Appreciate the critique....suggestions...and the encouragement, immensely.