Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

self butchering

Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 AM

Default RE: self butchering

We've always done our own deer. Just like everyone else has stated, hang em up, skin, quarter, take out the loins and straps (prepare immediately with butter, onions, garlic, and a couple eggs of your choice), cut your steaks and roasts, wash everything before packaging, grind up scraps for burger meat or dry the scraps for snacks. We usually do this on thanksgiving day or the day after (while watching a Packer game and disposing of said loins and eggs).
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Worst case scenario is you end up with a lot of hamburger and not much for steaks and roasts. Like everyone said it really is pretty straight forward. Just remember, before you put it in the freezer, make sure all the fat, membrane and hair is off the meat. It's amazing how a couple hairs with keep someone from enjoying their meal later on. I've seen an online video somewhere showing how to do it also, so do a search and you willno doubt find something. At our shack, we figure once night falls and while we are preparing dinner, that's when we get the deer registered, skin it up and start deboning. When you have a couple guys it goes fast. Usually about 1 1/2 -2 beers apiece and the deer is on ice.[:-]
Dandbuck
Old 09-28-2007, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: suckersticker

then what ever meat i have left over (fat and scrap meat) i through in the dehydrator to make into snacks for my dog during duck season. so in a sense none of our deer goes to waste.

That is a great idea.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 AM

After paying $212 to have my deer butchered and made into jerky and sausage one year I knew that was my last time taking it to a proccesor. Most places around here are like $80 just to have your basic cuts. We do it all ourselves. It really isnt that hard and if you know what you are doing you can have it cut and packaged in an hour or two.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its pretty standard just as everone stated, definately hang it as it makes it much easier. It would help a lot if you could have someone experianced step you through it the first time. The one thing I would add is get the skin off it ASAP as soon as you get home, helps the flavor and lets the meat cool faster...and less chance for hair to get everywhere....since i hunt a more northern climate, i can let it hang untill cool most of the time.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

It's really a pretty painless process to do yourself. I hang them in my garage. Skin the deer. Debone the hindquarters, take out the straps, take out the inside loins, take of the front legs, trim excess into cubes for stew meat and throw it all in the extra gigerator in my garage. I come back when I have time and cut into steaks, roasts, leave whole, or whatever the heck I want to do. You can have a deer skinned, quartered, and"on ice" quicker than you think when you get the hang of it and develop your own system.

The best tip I can give you is trim all the fat and membrane and make sure it is very well rinsed before you package it.
That's the best tip of all. Deer fat aint taste no good [:'(]
Sounds like your pretty good at it. Who showed you?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

For those of you that want to start making your own hamburger and sausages this grinder is very inexpensive and will definitely get the job done.

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/lemproducts/prodinfo.asp?number=R341
Old 09-28-2007, 10:41 AM

I started doing my own last year. I use to cut the meat off then have it ground at a local shop. Bought my own grinder at Christmas last year. One thing I do different then most here, I use a Tupper Ware container that will hold 1 pound of ground. I lay plastic wrap over the container, pack in the meat, then wrap the meat in the plastic. I then wrap the meat in freezer wrap. Meat that has been in the freezer for 10 months is still in very good condition since it is protected by a double layer. Thebutcher who did my antelope in Wyoming last year double wrapped the meat and it has been excellant. I bought a digital scale to weigh the meat this year for when I mix the spices for breakfast sausage.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

First I quarter the animal and I have a spare fridge that I use to cool it down aasap and I let it in there for about 3-5 days and then I butcher it. I do not worry about a cool room because I only pull the peices out of the firdge that I am butchering at the time. this works great. Next best thing to having a walk in cooler in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this video:
https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=VW250

Quick Reply: self butchering

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.