Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm crazy, I think I can make it out.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Default RE: I'm crazy, I think I can make it out.

Before I had knee surgery I could not walk much more than 100 yards let alone climb a tree. To get out in the woods I used my arms to get up the ladder. It can be done and good luck. PS ever try dragging a deer out of the woods with only one good leg....it takes a while...hope you get to find out. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

LOL thanks guys. I've been mulling this over in my mind, picture how and what I need to do and I've formulated a plan. For about two weeks now I've been climbing up and down a step ladder. What I do is place my left knee on a rung, step up with my right and repeat the process. I wish I had a ladder stand but I don't. I do however have the ladder sticks with rungs on both sides of the stick. That's what we'll put in the Pin Oak. I have a strong upper body and know I can pull using mostly my arms and good right leg. Like ultra said, I'll know when I try. I'll try tomorrow when we hang it. I'll know for sure then and just carry my blind, pop it up and hunt on the ground as much as I don't want to. There's no great spot for the blind or I would have had it out weeks ago. I kinda know what I can and cannot get away with, with this left leg. The cast keeps it all nice and sturdy.

mauser, I have a pair of crotcheted thick socks I'm wearing over my cast....I will however take pictures. Won't be any of me climbing as it'll be dark. The scent control is the other issue. I'm going to have to rely on Scent Killer. I already realized today that I'll have to spray down my crutches too. This is going to be interested but I'll give a full report on Sunday....LOL I can't hunt Saturday evening, my wife inadvertantly planned a party at our house Saturday night.....she didn't think Sept was archery season...well now she knows!.

I wanted to hunt my other stand but I'll put Kurt in that stand. It has the ladder sticks with the rungs staggered up the pole in the middle. I can't do the knee thing with that one.

The cast comes off Wednesday. [&:]

Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol....funny we think on the same track...scent control and covering the cast

but, i know if i were in your cast, id be schemin up somethin much of the same...heck, i rifle hunted right after getting out of bed after having a BAD case of mono. the first time i left the house was the Sunday before the opener...to make sure my rifle was shootin true. i asked the Dr if the recoil could rupture my spleen...he said no way! i still say he doesnt realize what kinda recoil i was talking about...dont know how i made it, but i put in a full day that first day. guess i wasnt really awake lol...but i was out there. stayed with a group that kept me close to the truck and kept a close eye on me...but i was out there lol.

good luck Rob...im rootin for ya!! a bruiser, cast and all...that would be somethin!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know, wouldn't it be something to have a buck, bow across it's chest, crutches across it's belly and me smiling brightly behind it...too funny.[8D]
Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't push yourself too hard Rob. Best of luck and please make sure you are strapped in. I don't know if you have one local to you, but D1ck's has really nice ladder stands on sale right now for $49. I have 2 of them at my place and they work great. Just a thought........
Old 09-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Matt, maybe I'll look tomorrow. The ladder sticks I have virtually are like the ladder stand...I just need a place to put my left knee.

I will be strapped in. I require that with anyone who hunts with me. I'm not afraid of death for myself but I do for my wife and I am really scared of being paralyzed. I know what my poor wife has to go through with just my injury. I wouldn't want to burden her or anyone with more. Safety is Number ONE
Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

I can tell you that you should not go hunting but I know I would so go for it!!

Go buy a ladder stand you tight wad, they are cheap as ever now and I know you can killbig bucks from them!!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Typical Buck

Yup, I gotta say you've lost your mind. I don't think I would risk climbin a tree in your shape. I would be on the ground so I didn;'t mess myself up more. Nonetheless good luck on Saturday. I keep my fingers crossed that I don't end up like the rest of you gimps before I tag out. Only 2 more days....not even that, but you get the picture
Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wanna see pics of your attemp into the tree

sorry, hope it all works out for you
Old 09-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob you're nuts. Really. You still on pain killers? cuz I don't think you're thinking straight.

In all seriousness I'm afraid I'd be the same way. I'm having 3 surgeries in the next 3 months and I'm thinking about any which way I can hunt during that time. I even scheduled elbow surgery for the week of xmas. It may goof up xmas, but it will cut down on the impact to deer season. We're all a bit nuts when it comes to bowhunting.

Good luck though and be safe!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I'm crazy, I think I can make it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.