Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Primos Can

Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Primos Can

When should someone start using the cans. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Default RE: Primos Can

I use them as soon as bow season starts in October. Don't expect to call in a buck though. Well, maybe a young buck because he's curious. I tend to see more action with the can closer to the rut, as one would expect.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM

I have used the can for the past few years with good success. I really like to use it during the chase phase of the rut, thru the rut and late rut. Others may have had different luck, but these have been my best times. I have NEVER had a buck spook off of this call. Early season they tend to ignore it but haven't spooked like some do with a grunt call. Really works well with a snort wheeze. Have fun with it. THe new long Can should be good on windy days. Good Luck
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anytime from the begining of the season to the end of the season, it's nothing more than a contact call.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I usually use it when I feel a pressure or urging need to push.......as for the Primos version, I have no idea. I think I scare deer away with it.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 PM

I too would think that it would be best used closer to the chase phase of the rut. Bucks will be actively looking for the sweetness at that time.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

The can is suppose to imitate a doe in heat bleating, does usualy dont come into heat until the rut so I would probably hold of until at least late pre rut. I personaly have never had any luck with one, friends and family have but I havent.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: passthru79

The can is suppose to imitate a doe in heat bleating, does usualy dont come into heat until the rut so I would probably hold of until at least late pre rut.
I absolutely do not believe this. There isn't a single writing by a biologist or scientist to support doe making estrous bleats while in heat and that statement was made by a biologist but I cannot remember which one. More so than anything it's nothing more than a contact call. Although this site offers two different calls, they are very similiar and the "Can" sounds more like the contact called made season long.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM

You said the "Can" for does. There are a number of different cans each making their own sounds. Contact, Call Out, Estrus etc.....Primos by themselves have three or four different calls for different times of the year and situations. Hunters Specialties makes about the same amount. They (Using the right one) can be used throughout the year, hunting season or not, from contact to breeding. You have to determine which one fits the occasion. Here is a web page explaining the different sounds. DOE SOUNDS And here is a page at Bass Pro showing the different "Cans" just from Primos. Doe CallsI hope this helps.
Eric S. Stacy AKA DeerDope

Quick Reply: Primos Can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.