Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting in my own way......

Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Getting in my own way......

I had a good spot picked out for this morning. I hadn't hunted near this woodlot, all year.

Before shooting light.....2 does mill right under my stand. No shot opportunity....and that's fine. They slowly milled away....no wiser.

Before I even got up the tree.....I realized I'd already done the following things worng:

1. Forgot my haul line (made a little noise carrying my bow up in the climber)
2. Forgot my gloves and facemask (grrr).

Been there a little while.......(dropped my cap....lol)......and realized I wanted my bow hanger on the other side of the tree. Unscrew it......reach around to the other side....."Jam" it in the tree to get it started....and a doe with a fawn not 20 yds from me blows at the sound. She didn't see me....because she milled back in my direction.....but it cost me a shot opportunity.

So now I sit down with my bow across my lap. I'd already ranged a tree at 20 yds, earlier.....and I happen to look to my right to see a mouse (OK....it was a doe....but she was quiet as a mouse in the dry leaves) waltzing by like she hadn't a care in the world. Stand up when she gets behind a tree....and now she's 30 yds. Never offers a real opportunity (other than the one I would have had if I'd been standing and looking around when she was approaching).

I haven't had a day like this in a while.....where I shot myself in the foot so many times. Actually....it's been a couple of years.

But....I know they'r emoving through this area....and I already picked another spot for another morning about 120 yds up the woodlot.

It's hunting.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting in my own way......

I've never had good luck trying to stand with deer in the area, I have started standing while I bow hunt, seems to help....
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Ya know, though, NC....it's been SO dry, here....I have always been good at hearing them approach. She was just really stealthy. Good for her. She's a worthy adversary!(actually.....obviously better than "worthy")

She was walking a dried up creek bed.....and I never heard a peep from her.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never stand I shoot my deer sitting down!!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, rough morning! At least you know you are in a good spot!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Mike I was really looking forward to this spot, too....lol. It wasn't a bad thing, really.....just some missed opportunities.

I'll go back in a while, there. I really need to hunt the entire woodlot and see what I actually DO have, there. I maybe missing out by not utilizing the entire woodlot. I scouted out some stand sites, last year....and I might try ot ge tin one of those on the next weekday morning I hunt.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:14 AM

at least its better then a good day at work
Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Oh I was at work by 9:45. I drove 8 hours yeaterday (all in one day) to be able to hunt it this morning.....instead of staying in Richmond and driving home, this morning.

Great morning, really.....
Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, it has been dry, I'm down in Asheboro...I can't hear squat (except for the ringing in my ears)...I'm also in one of those areas where you hear yard dogs, lawnmowers, weedeaters, etc....Go get another tonight....I'm waiting until Saturday evening...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have several days like that a year when I am fishing. Get tangled every other cast, miss my marks, forget how toset a hook, fall down the bank, spook fish. I feel like a rookie.Maybe that is just what its like getting old?

As dry as it is here in PA, the deer have been quiet. Once the fresh leaves fall, it'll be real crunchy again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.