Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking my son for the first time.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Taking my son for the first time.

I am planning on taking my son hunting with me this year and at seven he is pretty excited as am I. I have only been hunting for three years and got my first deer last season (four point). Are there any tips out there to help a young and a new hunter as we will be taking thisopportunity to learn together.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:01 AM

Default RE: Taking my son for the first time.

my 6.5yr old is going to the stand with me for gun season this year for the first time... I expect that he will fall asleep in the stand while waiting... not sure how long/quiet he can be... it'll be fun either way though...
Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

I am not sure that he will fall asleep in the blind I think the excitment will keep him awake... but the excitement brings in a whole nother beast, the chater box!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 AM

certainly, and my son is most definitely a chatter box... i think he'll get to the stand with me just fine and then fade after we've been there for an hour or so...
Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got some tips for ya;
Be ready to leave when he is.
Don't expect a "quiet" hunt.
Better to set up in a ground blind also to reduce his movement being seen.
Take something to keep his attention if the deer don't pop out right away. (NO VIDEO GAMES PLEASE.) I take this time to show my son how to "whiddle" on a stick safely.
Remember this is "his" hunt, so don't stay out there after he wants to leave for your own reasons.

Have fun and good luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Take something to keep his attention if the deer don't pop out right away. (NO VIDEO GAMES PLEASE.) I take this time to show my son how to "whiddle" on a stick safely.
Remember this is "his" hunt, so don't stay out there after he wants to leave for your own reasons.

Have fun and good luck!
Exactly!!!.. The ground blind is perfect for the kids. They can move around, sleep, whatever and not be seen. But they will be heard.
I hope you see a lot of deer. That will be real exciting for him even if you don't get one. Let us know how it goes
Old 09-27-2007, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

Have fun and good luck!
fortunately for us we've put up nice elevated shooting houses and have installed faom rubber padding on the inside to keep noise down, which gives him a nice place to sleep if he gets tired...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

A ground blind is definitely what i will be using to conceal his movement. As far as keeping him occupied the whiddling on a stick is something that he might like to do, he did get a knife set from hisGranparentslast x-mas. We went out scouting the areaagain last sunday and seen a beautiful 8 point. It was around 8:30 a m andhe thought that was thecoolest and amazing thing. We did not bump as we were about 100 + yards away and he justlooked at use as we glassed him and then turned after about ten minutes andwalked quietly into the brush.
Is therea recommended x bow for the younger hunters?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

the only tip is have fun and stay calm. I cant wait till my little girl is able to come out with me. Im getting her her first gun this christmas, she just turned 5
Old 09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are LUCKY! My little guy is only 6 months old. I can not wait until i can take him out hunting with me and get his 1st deer are film. You have to be 12 to hunt here in PA but he can come with me when i hunt at any age. So i cant wait for him to just be able to be in the woods with me. Few more years..

Quick Reply: Taking my son for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.