Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting deer

Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting deer

ORIGINAL: Drizzu213

this subject is cruelty to animals!It's called beating a dead horse!
Funny and true

ButI think we beat the this horse to beep into the ground to even reach it.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Post from guy on our MI forum. Best answer I have heard

"...... however, the positive impact that food plots have on the health of the herd, by supplying highly nutritious forage over a large part of the calender year, especially during periods when natural browse is limited, outweighs the potential negative impact that they might cause by spreading disease. Bait piles, because of the limited quantity and short time frame that the food is available, do not have the same positive impact to offset the potential negative impact."
Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

"...... however, the positive impact that food plots have on the health of the herd, by supplying highly nutritious forage over a large part of the calender year, especially during periods when natural browse is limited, outweighs the potential negative impact that they might cause by spreading disease. Bait piles, because of the limited quantity and short time frame that the food is available, do not have the same positive impact to offset the potential negative impact."
And yet this can be disputed with, "What about the folks who bait year round in almost unlimited quantities?"
Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

ORIGINAL: Germ

And yet this can be disputed with, "What about the folks who bait year round in almost unlimited quantities?"
Well that is not legal in MI, so that is for another state

But if you have a feeder tha spreads the bait out year around, I see not differnce.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can clear this up;
People who throw food on the ground in order to increase their chances at killing any deer suck as hunters - if they are trying to prove their worth, either to themselves or others.
Sure, if it is legal, and you aren’t trying to prove anything, and you want the meat in the freezer as fast as it can get there, go do it and be proud of yourself. You have become efficient at obtaining your goals. But that is not why I hunt.

Think about this; how would you feel if you were watching Chuck Adams, Fred Bear or whomever else you admire as a hunter, hunting some monster buck on TV. And he says; “I normally dump out a bag of corn on a well used trail. I then continue to dump the corn there until the deer really get used to it as a food source. The deer also get used to my scent being on the ground since I bring the corn in for them to eat. One can only imagine that if this practice went on long enough the deer would most likely follow my scent straight to the corn knowing that it was going to get a good meal. In fact since we’ve touched on “long enough”, I’d even venture to say that eventually, you could probably even feed the deer out of your hand.” And then he continues “Shhhhh, look over there… here comes a brute! He must have heard the bag when I tore it open. Quick, get up in the tree”. Obviously, if Chuck or Fred or anyone else made shows this way, you wouldn’t recognize their names, because they wouldn’t be famous as hunters.

I focus on my hunting using tactics that I could take with me anywhere at any time, assuming that I had the bare essentials and needed the deer as a food source. To me (and only me) that is what this whole thing is about. I further challenge myself to hunt good bucks since it is very rewarding to outwit one of the most elusive creatures on the planet. If you were in hard times and alone and needed to eat, you certainly wouldn’t last long by feeding the only food that you had to wild animals. But, if you had grown some food for yourself to eat (food plot) and you decided to use that as a target point for killing deer, I don’t see anything wrong with it. I mean, it would certainly help you be successful at getting some venison, and help you not get your crop eaten. (By the way, that is the answer to your first question).

So, if you really want to be proud of yourself, and participate in a truly age old tradition and celebrate your existence as a worthy hunter. Don’t throw corn on the ground and act as if everyone should drop to their knees in aw if you happen to kill a nice deer. Because that truly pals in comparison to what many of us go through in order to be successful hunter.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Think about this; how would you feel if you were watching Chuck Adams, Fred Bear or whomever else you admire as a hunter, hunting some monster buck on TV. And he says; “I normally dump out a bag of corn on a well used trail. I then continue to dump the corn there until the deer really get used to it as a food source. The deer also get used to my scent being on the ground since I bring the corn in for them to eat. One can only imagine that if this practice went on long enough the deer would most likely follow my scent straight to the corn knowing that it was going to get a good meal. In fact since we’ve touched on “long enough”, I’d even venture to say that eventually, you could probably even feed the deer out of your hand.” And then he continues “Shhhhh, look over there… here comes a brute! He must have heard the bag when I tore it open. Quick, get up in the tree”. Obviously, if Chuck or Fred or anyone else made shows this way, you wouldn’t recognize their names, because they wouldn’t be famous as hunters.
You just described most of the TV hunting we see, quite accurately.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I can clear this up;
People who throw food on the ground in order to increase their chances at killing any deer suck as hunters - if they are trying to prove their worth, either to themselves or others.
Sure, if it is legal, and you aren’t trying to prove anything, and you want the meat in the freezer as fast as it can get there, go do it and be proud of yourself. You have become efficient at obtaining your goals. But that is not why I hunt.

I focus on my hunting using tactics that I could take with me anywhere at any time, assuming that I had the bare essentials and needed the deer as a food source. To me (and only me) that is what this whole thing is about. I further challenge myself to hunt good bucks since it is very rewarding to outwit one of the most elusive creatures on the planet. If you were in hard times and alone and needed to eat, you certainly wouldn’t last long by feeding the only food that you had to wild animals. But, if you had grown some food for yourself to eat (food plot) and you decided to use that as a target point for killing deer, I don’t see anything wrong with it. I mean, it would certainly help you be successful at getting some venison, and help you not get your crop eaten. (By the way, that is the answer to your first question).

So, if you really want to be proud of yourself, and participate in a truly age old tradition and celebrate your existence as a worthy hunter. Don’t throw corn on the ground and act as if everyone should drop to their knees in aw if you happen to kill a nice deer. Because that truly pals in comparison to what many of us go through in order to be successful hunter.
So you're a better hunter than those of us that have very small areas to hunt and can't hunt funnels, draws, and such?? Please. [:'(]
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 PM

Bingo.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

I can clear this up;

So you're a better hunter than those of us that have very small areas to hunt and can't hunt funnels, draws, and such?? Please. [:'(]
No, but I do inspire to the best hunter that I can be. I would find property to hunt, before I threw corn on the ground. I’m not trying to sound noble or inspirational to you or anyone else. I’m actually very greedy in my reasoning. I want to be the best that I can be, as a hunter. Not as a corn slinger.
Thanks for asking,
KP

Old 09-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

I can clear this up;

No, but I do inspire to the best hunter that I can be. I would find property to hunt, before I threw corn on the ground. I’m not trying to sound noble or inspirational to you or anyone else. I’m actually very greedy in my reasoning. I want to be the best that I can be, as a hunter. Not as a corn slinger.
Thanks for asking,
KP

I see your point KP but to each their own. Everyone's situation is different.

Quick Reply: Baiting deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.