Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossing streams

Old 01-11-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Crossing streams

Anyone have a good way to cross a stream? I need to cross about 30 feet. I was thinking about stringing a cable across and attaching it to a couple of trees. I don't want to carry any extra equipment such as waders and I want it to be something not very easy to spot.

Early to bed, early to rise. Hunt like hell and make up lies.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Crossing streams

How deep are we talking????
If it is not above the crotch,take a couple heavy duty garbage bags,put one on each leg like hip boots,wade across and fold the bags and put under a brush till you come back.
I have used these on duck hunts several times.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Edited by - tree climber on 01/11/2003 15:25:12
Old 01-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Crossing streams

One of my best bucks of all time was taken by wading 100 yards across a flooded swamp and beaver pond. I put on my knee high rubber boots and rain suit. I then taped around the pant legs on the rainsuit to keep water from going up. I then taped the waist, then put on the jacket and taped the zipper and bottom of the jacket tight with duct tape. At times I was in water up to my arm pits. I had just cleared the pond to this little high ground I wanted to hunt that morning and was taking off the rainsuit when I heard the buck come into the pond on the other side. He climbed out of the water at a distance of 10 yards. Slam dunk. I taped myself back up and floated him behind me going back. Fastest hunt I ever had except for the time it took to pick my way around the deep spots.