Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where would you hunt?

Old 09-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Default Where would you hunt?

Ok guys, I figured I would start my scouting here!....

The situation....120 acres out of state that I am leasing. Never stepped foot on it.... The boundries are marked in red. All open fields inside the boundry are CRP... The open fields outside the boundries are primarily corn with beans mixed here and there......I will only have very limited scouting time as I only plan to hunt it for one week..... The dates I plan to hunt are Nov 9 - 15. So, the corn should be out of the fields by then...

I see some obvious pinch points that will be worth looking into, but wanted to get some other's perspectives....

Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where would you hunt?

DC, interesting looking property. Couple questions, is the creek/stream a bottom, meaning a valley? And I assume you enter the property from the N/W road either in that corner or directing N? Do you know enough about the property to know bedding areas, the deer coming to and from the ag fields?

Okay, without those questions answered and if we can picture the property as a P...Im liking the woods inside the loop of the P in the N/E. Specifically in the morning. If the deer are coming from the fields on top? I also like the woods top/right in the point of the P around the creek bottom.

I'm not sure about the woods in the N/W next to the road unless there are major feed sources across the road. It appears as if this property could be a good bedding area with the roads around it as well as all the AG fields too.

Well that's all I have until some of the questions are answered. One more though, How grown up are the CRP fields in the middle?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 AM

Outline looks like a backwards 7. at the inside corner of the 7 is where I would start. looks like the head of a draw and a good funnel point.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Put a 17' tripod stand with blind in the middle of the field in the middle of the property and sit is all day long with a .300 win mag with a nice 4x16 power scope and binoculars, and you will be able to cover most of the property.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 AM

Rob,

I will enter the propert from the SW, near the house site... I am told that those roads to the north are actually just dirt roads, or turn rows used by the farmers. Basically, the deer will have no qualms about crossing there...

The CRP is 3 years old, so not really sure how thick it is.

The creek and CRP are in a valley with the timber being on the hillsides.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

if that CRP is into its 3rd season there will be deer bedding in it, particulary since it is in a bottom...that changes how the deer will move significantly i think...look for crossings on (and trails parallel to) that creek ...i love hunting such as it is the best entry/exit route in the world. (assuming it is small enough to wade)
Old 09-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Any others?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would likeone one these locs the creekisa big draw the two onthe left would be great for gun hunting

Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM

I would hunt were the deer are.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Put a 17' tripod stand with blind in the middle of the field in the middle of the property and sit is all day long with a .300 win mag with a nice 4x16 power scope and binoculars, and you will be able to cover most of the property.
I think we've hunted together before.

Quick Reply: Where would you hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.