Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Check out my hunting grounds

Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Check out my hunting grounds

I gained access to this land last year but never hunted it. I'm going to tear it up this year though. Tell me what you think. Green lines are the boundaries I can hunt. The red is my one measely stand. Blue is a pine thicket. My stand is about 20 yards fromthe field overlooking a staging area.Sign out theying yang.

Why only one stand? Well, I wasn't going to hunt this land that much this year until I saw a "big un." I was pefectly happy in the mountains where I've been my whole life. Never had an oppurtunity to hunt fields before. I'm still in the process of finding new stand sites. Windmostly blows from the west but its also all over the place alot of the times I'm out there.

Any suggestions? I'm going to mainly stick to the larger piece of land on the left.

Disregard my attempts of making a legend, bottom-left.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Check out my hunting grounds

Depending on crop rotation duc, I see a ton of possibilities. Really looks good, can you tell us what any of the fields are planted in?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Well, it had corn planted in the one where my stand is overlooking. Its been cut for a while though and I don't see any scattered corn anywhere. Other fields are just grass. Plenty of sign on the field edge. There are tons of white oaks all throughout the hardwoods.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's hard to compete with white oaks when the are dropping, especially when the fields have been harvested. To the northeast, is that a big bay? Lots of possibilities, really looks good duc, I wish your best of luck.

Any chance of food plots for next season?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 AM

Rob, thats actually a lake. Appreciate the well wishes and hopefully I'll be spending alot of time on this property this year. I know there's a big one out there, just hope he decides to cross my path.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-26-2007, 05:09 AM

When you said, "I'm going to mainly stick to the larger piece of land on the left," that rang a little bell in my head. Whenever I say something to that effect, I take a step back and think about what I've said. I've found that in those situations, it's because the hunting is easier or more convenient. Well guess where the big boys always are? Where it's not so easy. I use boats to get into bedding areas in the morning, instead of walking through fields and getting blown at by does the whole way to the tree. I believe you have to either go the extra mile, or just wait to get lucky. (Or, if you have a tv show, you can have someone go the extra mile for you, drop you off at a stand they selected for you, and then plug their outfit after you stick a 160" "decent buck.")

I may be way off base in my observations; most likely I am. With all that green ink you've got on that picture - well my friend, that is a goldmine to me and my buddies. That place would be dream come true. Get out and see it all!!! Enjoy it!!!! We're not making any more land - and you may not have access to this forever.