Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

really need some expert advice n my string here

Old 09-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Default really need some expert advice n my string here

ok so im basically the biggest moron in the world. i could kill myself for what i have just done. i leaveTOMORROW for a bowhunting trip in tennessee.

being the person that i am who can't quit playing with things and never knows when to stop, i decided to cut off my string loop to put a fresh one on and make it shorter since it has stretched out a little andi need a shorter draw.

long story short i cut 2 strands of my actual string on my 60 lb bowtech allegiance. after flipping out, cursing, and punching things, reserved over it and put the loop back on. its the black and brown factory string and it appears that 2 of the brown ones are all thats frayed.

i know you will all say DO NOT SHOOT THE BOW, but what would you do if you were leaving in 12 hours for a 4 day hunt?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: really need some expert advice n my string here

I wouldn't catagorize myself as an "expert" but may I address your post?

Chances are you won't have a problem at all however, what if? Your in a tight spot, I've shot strings with a couple broken strands but I wouldn't continously shoot it.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM

Can you get to your local bow shop and see if they can help you out in a pinch? If not, wax the heck out of it and draw your bow in a safe place to see if it works. If it too frayed and going to break, you might have to weight until someone gets one on the ground and borrow their bow for the balance of the trip. Maybe, your local shop will loan you a bow one for the trip, the shop we deal with in PA would never let us down if we had a trip planned. Good Luck, i hope it all works out for you.

JMO
Old 09-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd def still go
Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

IT wouldnt stop me from going thats for sure! The other thing I am worried about is, you shortened your draw length? I dont shoot a loop but I would think it is going to make you shoot differently??

Sorry not trying to make you worry just my .2cents!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:40 PM

I have broken a couple strands during a hunt while walking through the woods. If I didn't have replacements I kept hunting with the same string till I had the chance to change it out. I have never had one break on me yet. Let's face it, you hopefully only have to draw and shoot once. You spent to much time to tune the bow to change it now. But I recommend you change it at your first chance.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM

westernmd... no i didnt adjust the draw (05 model so i cant) but i just shortened the loop because it had stretched out and i like it as short as possible.

im def still going. im actualy going to be the camera guy all weekend so im not THAT worried. but if my partner kills, we will switch. i have shot the bow, a few times...just trying to get some other opinions on exactly how much fire im playing with here. the part that is left is still thicker than whereit splitsand goes around the peep. my thinking is i have just as likely a chance of it breaking at the peep as i do at the fray. at least thats what im telling myelf to calm me down!

i can get to a bow shop but... i dont really have the 80 bucks to drop on it at the moment. i gotta pay for gas and my license and im on a tight budget.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understan that viper, I was just thinking that if you changed your anchor point it would throw the shot off???? I really dont know?? But good Luck on the trip!!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM

I went to Texas hog hunting a few years back and my bowtech string was almost cut in half when i noticed it. There was noting I could do til I got home so i just took my chances. I ended up killing two hogs with it. I'm not saying this was a good idea, but sometimes you have to take chances.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

What part of TN? Bring a good pair of shorts and short sleeves to hunt in . It only hit 90 today

Quick Reply: really need some expert advice n my string here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.