Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

am i a wimp

Old 09-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Default RE: am i a wimp

I am not an experienced/seasoned hunter.. Only been doing it a couple years .... But, I feel strongly about NOT shooting fawns.

I don't consider it "hunting"

Here is another way to look at it...

You have to work hard at tricking a mature doe or buck to come close enough to you for a shot, right ?

A fawn is naive;they are dependent on the mature deer to teach them what to look for and watch for and smell..

So , therefore they are mentally challenged for, at least, the first year of their life..An easy kill.. IMO, this is not hunting..

You're a better person for it!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

In no means are you a wimp at all. I know i couldnt shoot a fawn, maybe its cause i know i wouldnt be helping my deer population out, or maybe becuase i know i dont have the heart to do it.......
Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy who makes fun of me for not shooting certain deer. Yeah, so what if he has shot more deer than me, I have shot deer I am proud of, he hasn't. So don't let anyone else get you down, you shoot what your HAPPY with.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I won't particularly state that I'd be proud to shoot a doe fawn....but I won't be ashamed of it, either....if it happens. I've never shot a deer I was ashamed of. I don't plan on it.

You shoot what you want.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 8pt~Bowhunter

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

ORIGINAL: gplant

NOPE.Shoot the one that makes you happy.If you cave to what other people say then your a wimp.
X2
x3
x4
x5
Old 09-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: .243win

well i was out hunting the other day and all i saw was a fawn and when the boys at school found out i didnt shoot it and i told them i didnt have the heart to shoot a fawn well am i a wimp
No, not at all..

I have a similar story, we were in the Milk River area of SE Alberta bow hunting for muleys in the ravines and I looked over the edge down a ravine and saw a coyotee bedded down, I had lots of time, ranged it (30 yards) and just watched him check out the other side of the valley.. I too didn't have the heart to kill it. Personally I can't justify killing something I can't eat... When I got back to camp that night I told them my story and they were certainly disapointed I didn't stick it in the ribs.. I got a good ribbing that night but I didn't care, I didn't grow up on a ranch and don't have the local hate on for coyotees.

Do what you feel it right.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO

Hatchet Jack