Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

am i a wimp

Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Default RE: am i a wimp

You showed more mature manhood then they ever will. Good Job!
Shoot what makes YOU happy, not what the crowd at school says to do.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I passed on a doe with a spotted fawn opening day. It's early season, I'll get another chance I'm sure. This spotted fawn was a late one, real small, it will double in size in a couple months, die with out it's mother now. I've done deer damage control hunting and have had to shoot the fawns after shooting the mothers, will not leave them for the coyote's to eat alive. Saw that 1 time and never again. I don't have any problem with shooting young ones, they're the tastiest of the lot but I will not shoot a nubber buck and must know that it's not before I'll take it.
don't see shooting a young deer as lack of respect. I respect it all the way to the supper table and then some. I find it disrespectfull to hunt an animal too tough, too old to eat. I guess I never really understood the value of antlers hanging on a wall. I see a big old rack and think that must have been some narly tough meat to eat.
I was gun hunting with a friend and a friend of his one day, we all saw a 12 pointer mating a doe, I shot the doe from right under him. MY friend knew I'd shoot the doe, was ready and shot the buck right after. His friend couldn't believe it. He couln't believe I'd let the 12 pointer walk and take the doe instead and couldn't believe that my friend knew I wouldn't take the buck and was ready to take it after I took the doe. We were both after the doe, I was just a second quicker. That second meant my meat was better, and skinning was easier. His 12 pointer had more meat and handles to drag it out by, took a truck to pull the hide off and paid a fortune to have a ton of sausage and hot dogs made of all that tough old meat. lol I had tender steaks and roasts that melted in your mouth and didn't cost anything to proccess. I shot another doe that year and traded him a couple of tender roasts for some of those fancy hot dogs and sausage. It's all good, just perfer good meat over big antlers. As long as the deer isn't going to waist, to each is there own choice but I would have perfered that 12 pointer to breed and make more deer to eat, more beautiful racks to hunt. If another doe comes within range anytime soon, it's a goner. Just has to be bigger than a dog, not have spots or nubbers, be worth the $15 tag. If it has a fawn with it, I'll do my best to get and tag it too. If it has spots now, here in Wisconsin, it wont make it through the winter with or with out mom and will probably cause mom to die as well. If A doe is still nursing into october, survival rates are very low for both. Better I eat them than the coyote and now wolves we have.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:52 PM

Brush it off, anyone who talks crap like that is suffering from "little mans" symdrome. You know the little 5'4" guys that pick on 6'3" guys like me. Oh how I love when they do that.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

ORIGINAL: gplant

NOPE.Shoot the one that makes you happy.If you cave to what other people say then your a wimp.
X2
x3
x4
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 PM

I never shot a fawn either, some smaller does in the past but never a fawn. I don't think it makes you a wimp if you want a little more meat for the freezer. Tell themyou didn't want to go hungary in a month. Did they shoot anything?

JMO

Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]Tell those wimps that they are just affraid to drag a heavy deer out of the woods.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM

thanks guys for the great comments yea i just couldnt do it well i could have easly made the shoot beingin she was at 7 yards but thats besides the point

thanks
.243win
Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah the old school peer presure. I fell you made the right decision and I dont think your a wimp for doing so...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

yip. total 100% wimp.

...don't shoot it if you don't want to. you're still a wimp, but you did the right thing
Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Spike

not at all many people would drop the first deer they saw

Quick Reply: am i a wimp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.